Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble With Dropped Ethernet Connection

Hello all...

I'm running 10.6.7 on a Mac Pro. I'm having a problem with my Ethernet connection keeps dropping. I know it's not my router or cable modem (or cable) because when I plug the cable into my MacBook Pro instead of my Mac Pro it works fine.

The symptom is that all Ethernet activity stops. In Network Preferences, using DHCP, it appears all is OK, but if I turn the configuration OFF then back to DHCP, then I get a self-assigned IP address.

I tried resetting PRAM, repaired permissions, cleared caches, and did a reinstall of 10.6.7. Reinstalling 10.6.7 seemed to help for a while, but then the problem started recurring.

If anyone has any ideas of what to try? This is getting frustrating!

Thanks!

-Eric

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 11, 2011 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2011 5:15 AM

What kind of Ethernet cable are you using (CAT 5, CAT 5E or CAT 6)? What happens if you try the other Ethernet port on your Mac Pro?

1) You can reset the networking in 10.6.x by going to /YourHardDrive/Library/Preferences/System Configuration/ and moving the files:

a) com.apple.network.identification.plist

b) NetworkInterfaces.plist

c) preferences.plist

To the Trash can (but don't delete them yet. Then IMMEDIATELY reboot to rebuild those settings! Then upon the reboot open System Preferences->Network and at the top of the pane click on the 'Location' drop-down and create a custom Location calling it whatever you want (like Home or Work or whatever). After creating this new Location near the bottom of the Network pane will be the 'Apply' button to save the new custom named Location.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2011 5:15 AM in response to Eric Feigenson1

What kind of Ethernet cable are you using (CAT 5, CAT 5E or CAT 6)? What happens if you try the other Ethernet port on your Mac Pro?

1) You can reset the networking in 10.6.x by going to /YourHardDrive/Library/Preferences/System Configuration/ and moving the files:

a) com.apple.network.identification.plist

b) NetworkInterfaces.plist

c) preferences.plist

To the Trash can (but don't delete them yet. Then IMMEDIATELY reboot to rebuild those settings! Then upon the reboot open System Preferences->Network and at the top of the pane click on the 'Location' drop-down and create a custom Location calling it whatever you want (like Home or Work or whatever). After creating this new Location near the bottom of the Network pane will be the 'Apply' button to save the new custom named Location.

May 27, 2011 8:26 PM in response to Eric Feigenson1

Here's yet another update. I think I found the source of the problem. though not the cause.

I saved away a good copy of those three files so I compared them to bad ones when the network failure happened again. The consistant difference that appears to be the cause of the problem is an extra entry in com.apple.network.identification.plist:

<dict>

<key>DNS</key>

<dict>

<key>DomainName</key>

<string>erflink</string>

<key>ServerAddresses</key>

<array>

<string>192.168.2.1</string>

</array>

</dict>

<key>IPv4</key>

<dict>

<key>Addresses</key>

<array>

<string>192.168.2.2</string>

</array>

<key>InterfaceName</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>Router</key>

<string>192.168.2.1</string>

<key>SubnetMasks</key>

<array>

<string>255.255.255.0</string>

</array>

</dict>

<key>ServiceID</key>

<string>030C0F91-BDCE-4522-A8C6-B98C0C069B0B</string>

</dict>

This extra entry is in the Services array, which is in Dictionary item 0 of the Signatures array off the root. I went so far as to delete the second entry from the file, saved it, rebooted, and got my network back. Though my network seems to be a little bit slow now, but that could be my imagination 😉

The question remains... what nefarious application is messing with this file, causing me to lose my network?!?!?! We may never know!!!! But hopefully someone Who Knows is watching, and will give some suggestions on how to figure that out.

Nov 7, 2013 6:46 PM in response to Eric Feigenson1

I've been seeking an answer all over the place, but I'll post my comment here. The short story is that I'm bringing my iMac to the "Genius Bar" tomorrow..the long story is what I typed into the additional comments for my Genius Bar reservation:

"Never used this until I upgraded my Fios service last week and the upgrade will only work with an Ethernet connection. 5e cable works on all of my other Macs but not on my iMac "Either the cable for Ethernet is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding." I think the plug on the iMac is bad. I've tried resetting PRAM etc. Works for a few seconds if I spray a can of air, especially the freezing element of the spray."

Nov 9, 2013 9:50 AM in response to MDK

Report from the Genius Bar.

The feeling was that my logic board was the culprit and a replacement would be $700.

Instead they suggested a USB Eternet Adapter $30.

I purchased the later and it works fine.

However I'm wondering if the logic board was at fault from day one? Most of the posts regarding this issue were related to the iMac.

Unfortunately I never needed the Ethernet for the first three years and now the warranty has long expired.

My original now non-functioning Ethernet was

Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8055 Singleport Copper SA:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x11ab

Device ID: 0x436a

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x11ab

Subsystem ID: 0x00ba

Revision ID: 0x0013

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en0

Kext name: AppleYukon2.kext

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2 .kext

Version: 3.2.1b1

Jan 8, 2014 5:11 PM in response to MDK

Unacceptable solution. Apple has a major problem with this and lots of folks have reported it. My new(jan2012) macbook pro has been fine until the last month and now every day i lose internet connection.

and i've tried diff cables, diff router ports, i've tried wifi and it will lose wifi then reconnect. i've also done every kind of reboot reset smc and pram and etc etc etc and it only solved problem for a while..maybe 30 minutes..maybe almost a day. also it does it with any browser...chrome, safari, firefox...and sometimes it loses it after being in sleep mode..but sometimes it comes out of sleep mode fine and i have internet for 30 minutes or a few hours then i lose it. no ryhme or reason. must be a hardware issue with a bad logic board and you know apple wont want to fix those for free. you know i was willing to pay $1200 for an apple product instead of $400 for a windows laptop because of better performance and nicer os/ui but i'm not going to drop $700 for a new logic board...i can go buy a new windows laptop...a nice one..for less than that.

i understand going for the $30 fix but apple should step up and provide a fix.

Trouble With Dropped Ethernet Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.