Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iSight camera

iSight has only worked intermittently since the most recent auto update for the new May 2011 27" iMac. Resetting SMC didn't resolve this. Reinstalling OSX did get the camera working again, but then the update again borked it. Ideas?

The green light doesn't come on

The camera is listed as a connected USB device

FaceTime shows an error message, suggesting restart (which doesn't help)

Photo Booth shows black screen

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 12, 2011 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2011 11:46 AM

Hi,

I would try a PRAM reset. Shut down the computer. Restart it holding down Apple/CMD (or ⌘)+ALT( ⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file

I would also try a Removal of all USB items except Keyboard and Mouse and then shut down the Computer for 15 Mins.

This tends to allow capacitors to Discharge that hold info like device numbering.

It is mainly used for Firewire Port resets but may help here.

User uploaded file
7:46 PM Friday; May 13, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.7)
 Mac OS X (10.6.7),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2011 11:46 AM in response to MaxThrusters

Hi,

I would try a PRAM reset. Shut down the computer. Restart it holding down Apple/CMD (or ⌘)+ALT( ⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file

I would also try a Removal of all USB items except Keyboard and Mouse and then shut down the Computer for 15 Mins.

This tends to allow capacitors to Discharge that hold info like device numbering.

It is mainly used for Firewire Port resets but may help here.

User uploaded file
7:46 PM Friday; May 13, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.7),

May 14, 2011 5:23 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you Ralph, for responding.

The answer, however, has turned out to be much simpler. A few days after I bought the iMac I also bought the Elgato EyeTV USB device. It seems that there is insufficient USB 2.0 bandwidth for the iSight camera and this device to operate at the same time. Unplugging EyeTV when I want to use the iSight camera seems to be the inelegant solution.

I'm new to the world of Macs, so it took me a day or two to figure this out 😝

May 14, 2011 11:55 AM in response to MaxThrusters

Hi,

Does the EyeTV devcie have the option of being Powered (Externally) ?

Obviously the Internal iSight is in fact Unpowered.

Much newer Macs come with USB 2.0 ports on the keyboard but the keyboard itself is unpowered (i.e gets it.s power from the Mac).

If you are plugging the EyeTV in here it may be draining too much power from the USB Controller.

It may be that you have other devices that are also unpowered (USB Stick/Drive)

Thanks for the Points

User uploaded file
7:55 PM Saturday; May 14, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.7),

My iSight camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.