Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCE is absolutely TERRIBLE with AVCHD/MTS cameras - horrendous quality, HUGE file sizes, and ZERO help or support

So I've tried just about everything and it would appear that FCE cannot actually give me any sort of quality output when using an AVCHD (using MTS files) camera. I've tried exporting using Quicktime, MPEG-4, H.264, AVI, WMV (you name it, I've tried it over the past two weeks) with a myriad of different settings, and at the highest qualities possible, and STILL, I cannot get even a remotely decent exported video. Standard definition videos, across the board, look MUCH better after being exported than any of the HD videos I've tried to export - what gives? I've matched my fps, dimensions, used deinterlacing (because my camera insists on recording at 60i, 1440x1080i), tried using all sorts of key frame rates (to match or at least be divisible by the frame rate), data rates, etc. I can get the exported video to look almost decent if I use the deinterlace options, but still, the video quality is pretty terrible. I'm trying to make production quality videos for DVD and the exported files I'm getting look like a garbled mess. The quality I'm getting wouldn't even suffice for online use.

I've tried everything I can to make sure the mac itself is functioning properly (repair permissions, verify disk, safe boots, etc, etc) as well as updated quicktime and FCE - for one reason or another, I've had to actually reinstall FCE more than a couple times over the past two weeks... and I even went so far as to try a clean uninstall - which, for those who don't know, for some reason apple in their infinite wisdom decided NOT to include an uninstaller with this application so you actually have to scour through your hard drive and delete individual files (some of which may or may not exist based on what all you've done with the program).

I've been in contact with tech support, tried using the discussion forums, watched a host of youtube videos on the subject and appear to have exhausted every possible avenue to deal with these issues - it really seems that this software is NOT, in any way, shape or form, capable of deliverying even decent quality videos when using the AVCHD format (which is, of course, the most widely used of all video formats at this point... for what reason, I don't know, but it seems pretty ubiquitous and their aren't many options otherwise).

From my more windows-friendly folks, I'm hearing that AVCHD is pretty easy to use on windows machines and there's a whole litany of FREE software to use on windows to do what I'm desperately trying to accomplish on the mac... and I've blown $200 on this worthless FCE in the meantime and have wasted an inordinate amount of time and energy that I could've been using to ACTUALLY create more video projects (which, ya know, at some point I was actually planning on making some money with)

Overall, I'd say this has been a terrible waste of time and money - FCE does not do what it plainly says it's capable of doing in it's documentation. I want my money back - I would not recommend using FCE for any HD video processing whatsoever.

If anyone out there has any sort of magic they'd like to share, I'd love to hear it - at this point, it's really looking like Mac has been left in the dust concerning modern video production - I'm super disappointed, as I've been VERY impressed with Mac's abilities to do audio engineering and I was really hoping that their reputation as a leader in audio/video and creative endeavours would hold true in this case, but I'm starting to really think that Mac is a lot of hype in this regard.

PLEASE, someone tell me I've missed something here.

Final Cut Express-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 12, 2011 3:30 AM

9 replies

May 12, 2011 8:09 AM in response to sean138

I use to remux my .mts files using Aunsoft Video Converter for Mac. By this no conversion takes place and - as far as I see - no quality reduction occurs. This results in .mov files that are about the same size as the .mts input.

The remux function is fully functional even in the trial version. Hope this helps.

May 12, 2011 9:07 AM in response to sean138

... and I've blown $200 on this worthless FCE in the meantime and have wasted an inordinate amount of time and energy that I could've been using to ACTUALLY create more video projects (which, ya know, at some point I was actually planning on making some money with)

That's what happens when you do not research your workflow before getting started with a project.

• Ingest/convert your footage through log & transfer

• edit your footage in a sequence that matches clip settings

• export (although you don't say what your final output is)

mish

May 12, 2011 9:46 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

• It is not necessary to buy the application, because the remux function works in the trial version without limitations.
  • Remuxing outside any editing app (FCP, iMovie) enables usage of the OS X features (e.g. for preview with quickview, commenting with Finder, etc.) without creating unneccessary and vast duplicates. Remuxing is also much faster than converting (important for me because of elderly Hardware).
  • We (my wife and I) are using several cameras simultaneously (one for 1080i, one for 720p and photo underwater, one SLR). "Early unification" simplifies previewing, selecting and filing of photos and video together enormously (e.g. in Finder, Aperture) without losing the temporal context.
  • If you see any alternative, let me know.

May 12, 2011 9:53 AM in response to bowar

What cameras are you talking about? You must give exact information or we're just talking BS.

You don't need a third party application for AVCHD media. That's what the OP's question is about. You can use FCE 4.0.1.

If you're talking about non-AVCHD cameras that's a different matter.

Do not using a remuxing application, as that will still leave the file in the wrong codec. It needs to be transcoded for use in FCE.

May 12, 2011 4:43 PM in response to sean138

Yes, you have missed a few things... as mentioned, what camera, what 'options', such as 24p, 60i, whatever... how you have output the results, etc...

I personally can not 'play' AVCHD on my aging laptop, my 'workhorse'. I always have to resize down to something less than 1080x1920 to 'play' smoothly on it.

Also, H.264, has a number of 'options', such as maximum bit rate, which does impact the visual quality on playback... anything less than 20-30 Mbits/sec is too low... (which of course leads into whether your machine can play it or not...). In addition, where you store your output also impacts playability, USB driver are notoriously slow, and often a clip will play off the main harddrive, but hiccups off of a USB...

So, yeah, you have missed a few items, and probably more...

FCE is absolutely TERRIBLE with AVCHD/MTS cameras - horrendous quality, HUGE file sizes, and ZERO help or support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.