Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Standardise definition & selection method for ALL third party plugin presets!!!

Over at LogicProHelp there is a very useful topic relating to Logic presets - in which many users have spent time saving individual third party plugin settings as LOGIC presets... which is enormously helpful when selecting instruments etc because they can be selected using a keystroke etc and found within the Logic Library browser window - which is of course searchable!

These presets have then been uploaded to the forum for others to download.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=367267#367267

I posted on the topic recently and thought it worth mentioning over here on the Apple forum.

Here's what I said - does anyone agree/disagree? Is this something that Apple should work on? For me it's a no brainer but I'd like to know what others think....

"MO 3rd party instruments that rely on mouse-clicks or anything more than one button press to change a preset are incredibly badly designed. It's massively frustrating and impedes creative flow to have to use a mouse, or press several keyboard buttons just to move from one sound to another. Native Instruments interfaces are amongst the worst offenders - you even have to MANUALLY specify what presets you want to use with specific MIDI Program Change messages - because the latter are the only way I know of using anything other than the NI interface to change sounds in their plugins.

The Logic Channel Strip settings saved along with 3rd party Plugin settings saved as Logic Presets have proved a recent revelation for me.

Now I can change instrument presets using a keystroke, a midi message, almost anything I want.

And then there's the Logic Library browser - now that so many sounds are saved as Logic Presets, the Logic browser window has become really powerful - being able to search my entire library for "bass" or a particular instrument name - REGARDLESS of which third party plugin is required to play the sound - IT JUST LOADS AND PLAYS!

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think of a sound I want first, NOT which instrument I should load and then browse through - the latter is kind of backwards for me.

I really think that we users should pressure Apple and plugin developers to provide Logic (and indeed other DAWs) presets with ALL of their products because the amount of effort on their part is minimal compared with countless end-users doing this task manually over and over. The current situation is ridiculous.

DAWs are incredibly powerful these days but the lack of a plugin preset/sound library definition standard is quite crippling to work flow.

I mean if there were a STANDARD LIBRARY DEFINITION such as with Native Instrument libraries or Apple loops where sounds are defined universally and supplied as such in a common preset it would revolutionise sound discovery/selection within DAWs.

Kind of like a document management system that applies to ALL plugins, by ALL developers and the installer for a plugin would then add all its presets to the management system/common library"

MBP 15" 2.3 i7 8Gb, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 12, 2011 4:16 AM

14 replies

May 13, 2011 11:27 AM in response to AutoFiend

Kind of tough- AU is an Apple standard- so really, that is standardized. I guess 3rd party AU devs could offer up Logic channel strips with their instruments to alleviate the issue- but then again, we could just make them ourselves - as great of a feature it is- I bet most users don't use it as much as just opening up the AU, and selecting their sounds from within the specific GUI.

And honestly, a Standard Library Definition is comoditizing the technology to the lowest common deonominator- any changes/improvements causes mass headache and complaining (VST3 ????)

May 13, 2011 12:01 PM in response to JavaJ

Thanks for the input.

I don't agree though!

My suggestion isn't to do with plugin formats per se (AU, VST, RTAS etc) it's about how to select instruments/sounds within ANY format.

I'm not really talking about Channel Strip Settings either - more the facility within Logic to "save setting as" within individual plugin's - to store information about sounds/settings rather than entire channel strips.

One is selected quite separately from the other within Logic and they do different things.

Apple have come up with a way, within Logic, to save the settings of an AU plugin in a format that Logic can use to re-load or select that setting in future and this works for ALL plugins.

So why shouldn't the developers of these plugins be persuaded to use this format, in addition to their own - to BENEFIT THEIR CUSTOMERS?

More generally, if there was a common file format or database within which manufacturers of plugins could save their instrument settings data, then ALL plugins in ALL formats could load and then Logic, Cubase, Protools, Ableton etc could handle the way to load a sound - that is not the same as how the sound is made itself, merely how to LOAD the required data.

If Apple have managed it, it is possible.

Even if it DOES apply only to AUs then it's a step forward - there are more than enough Logic users globally to justify the effort on the part of plugin developers.

Regarding "I bet most users don't use it as much as just opening up the AU, and selecting their sounds from within the specific GUI."

That's exactly my point - this is a pain in the **** because as I said, with most plugins this requires MOUSE CLICKS or SEVERAL KEYBOARD buttons to select an instrument - this really isn't good - in my opinion.

And there's no common library within which to search or select "bass" sounds or "pads" etc.

As for "we could just make them ourselves" - I don't mean to be aggressive or rude, but that's exactly what I stated as a problem (i.e. ridiculous) in my post - many plugins have literally thousands of instruments/settings.

Is it really OK or acceptable for all of us individual Logic customers AND respective plugin customers, to have to manually re-save each and every one of those thousands of settings?

That's just not right (sorry!)

"Standard Library Definition is comoditizing the technology to the lowest common deonominator?"

The WWW works BECAUSE of common standards - you and I would not be communicating right now if it weren't for such things - it does not have to mean a sort of lowest level control thing or "dumbing down".

It's about standardising for the common good - that's the gist of my point.

May 13, 2011 4:08 PM in response to chorleyman

Er, thanks "Chorleyman". Nice constructive contribution.....

Did you spot the "It's about how to select instruments/sounds" bit?

That's with an emphasis on "select", as in "choose" as in "find" - not an attempt to define or standardize the actual sounds themselves.

As in another quote from my post: "Document Management System" - a system that sets out to make it EASY TO FIND THINGS.

I mean would you prefer Google, Yahoo, Bling etc didn't exist?!

I really can't fathom how you got from my original post to an (apparently) Orwellian-esque argument about amplifiers and speakers.

Still, each to their own.

Sid.

May 13, 2011 4:23 PM in response to AutoFiend

I agree with the setiment. I tend to move everything to Logic aupresets as I can standardise preset selection as much as possible and flip through patches on key/MIDI presses etc - but it's not possible to do this with everything.

In these days of hundreds of software instruments and massive disks, in some ways the way I can find and choose sounds for my projects is *worse* than in the days of sysex and hardware synths.

However - it's a very difficult problem to crack, as ultimately an ideal solution would have to support everything a developer would like to do, work in all hosts in all platforms and satisfy everybody - which isn't going to happen.

May 13, 2011 4:35 PM in response to AutoFiend

I guess I could simplify my original question/point thus:

Is it better/easier to think "I want a piano sound" and then

1. to be able to browse ALL piano sounds for ALL of my plugins in one place (a universal library) or

2. individually load each plugin that I have (that I recall has some piano sounds) and then scroll through that plugin's sounds with a mouse click or midi change message and then go to the next plugin, and scroll through its sounds etc, etc, etc

By manually doing a "save setting as" for each third party plugin/instrument I can achieve the former in Logic - using the library browser window.

But this means doing a "save setting as" and typing each and every instrument setting name manually, for literally thousands of sounds.

May 13, 2011 4:53 PM in response to Bee Jay

Thanks Beejay - I agree.

The good old days of sysex! I recall panic over saving all the custom Roland D70 sounds I had programmed for many a track/session into C-Lab's Creator software on an Atari ST - in the often vain hope that I could recall everything exactly - should it be needed.

By comparison there is nothing to complain about here!

But again, if Logic is able to save the custom settings for literally all plugins, to be reloaded without issue for any individual project, or to be saved centrally within Logic user's presets "library" surely this isn't programmactically that difficult for third parties to implement within some kind of agreed framework?

I'm referring to being able to find and then load sounds based on name (and/or meta data) - much the same as when looking for web content via Google for example.

I'm absolutely not trying to suggest that their should be a prescribed way to build a soft-synth by how many oscillators or filters or ADSR envelopes etc are defined/agreed to be used within a plugin. Heaven forbid the latter.

May 14, 2011 1:27 AM in response to AutoFiend

Sid Merrett wrote:

One more thing Bee Jay - when you say "it's not possible to do this with everything" - I don't understand.

My experience is that it IS possible to save every kind of company's plugin settings as Logic presets - do you use plugins where this is not possible?

Yes, there are a fair few instruments where it's not possible or practical, usually where the instrument settings are always saved in a bank format rather than individual settings, or instruments with custom preset browsers, or instruments that simply have too much data or parameters to be saved/recalled using the hosts preset system, or instruments that use a custom file format that don't save everything via the hosts preset saving system.

Like I say, for many of my instruments, I've painstakingly saved out presets to aupresets or Logic plugin settings, so that I can organise them how I want and have a standard interface to them - but it's not possible for everything, and for those I have to resort to using their own inbuilt patch browsers for that functionality (and I hate it when you have to, for instance, mouse click on patch or "prev/next" buttons to flip through patches... ugh...)

Sid Merrett wrote:

to be able to browse ALL piano sounds for ALL of my plugins in one place (a universal library)

This is one of the things I mean where using sysex was in some ways better than the system we had now. For instance, I could load up my global Soundiver patch library, select all the "piano" sounds regardless of instrument, and step through them quickly, auditioning each (regardless of the target instrument) until I found the one I wanted to use.

With Logic, the library window is fairly basic, and in general for plugin settings you have to load up and instrument, and *then* see what presets you have saved for that instrument - in other words, you have to make the instrument choice first based on some arbitrary decision as to what instrument *might* have the sound you want. You can't just do a patch name (or meta data) search across all your instrument plugin settings... it's pretty basic really.

We really should have something more top modern for this, in 2011, alas...

May 14, 2011 2:57 AM in response to Bee Jay

Yes, there are a fair few instruments where it's not possible or practical, usually where the instrument settings are always saved in a bank format rather than individual settings, or instruments with custom preset browsers, or instruments that simply have too much data or parameters to be saved/recalled using the hosts preset system, or instruments that use a custom file format that don't save everything via the hosts preset saving system.

Can you give me an example of a plugin that doesn't work with the Logic save preset function?

Doesn't that mean that when you use those plugins in a Project it can't load the presets required?

If Logic can load them, then the settings are being saved somewhere, by Logic - somewhere.

My assumption has always been that Logic uses "save preset as" whenever it saves the plugins and their related settings required for a Project - but in the instance of saving the Project, Logic saves required preset data within the Project data file(s) rather than as a user preset file of course.

I may well be entirely incorrect. Particularly if you have plugins for which "Save preset as" does not work, but when you save and then recall your Projects, the same plugins DO load up any custom sounds you created for the project.... I hope that makes sense...could you confirm?

This is one of the things I mean where using sysex was in some ways better than the system we had now. For instance, I could load up my global Soundiver patch library, select all the "piano" sounds regardless of instrument, and step through them quickly, auditioning each (regardless of the target instrument) until I found the one I wanted to use.

I am thinking that what we need is a sort of Sounddiver for plugins.... !

With Logic, the library window is fairly basic, and in general for plugin settings you have to load up and instrument, and *then* see what presets you have saved for that instrument - in other words, you have to make the instrument choice first based on some arbitrary decision as to what instrument *might* have the sound you want. You can't just do a patch name (or meta data) search across all your instrument plugin settings... it's pretty basic really.

We really should have something more top modern for this, in 2011, alas...

I hadn't spotted that - thanks. You can't use the Logic Library window to search for Plugin Settings, only Channel Strip Settings.

This seems quite simple to address though: Like Channel Strip Settings, the plugin settings are saved as individual files but in a different location:

users/username/library/audio/presets

this location just needs to be added to the search Library function (by Apple!)?

May 14, 2011 4:38 AM in response to AutoFiend

Sid Merrett wrote:

Can you give me an example of a plugin that doesn't work with the Logic save preset function?

Sure, I could give you lists of plugins for each of those particular scenarios I addressed.

In that specific case, for one example, Spectrasonics instruments for a few years did not support the hosts' save/recall settings function (at least in Logic), and when contacting them and asking why Stylus RMX could not recall settings saved via Logic's preset system I was given the explanation that it wasn't supported for technical reasons.Basically, it only save/recalled a small handful of settings, the rest were lost, meaning it was impossible for quite some time to use the Logic's save/load settings feature to save user presets, you had to use the plugin's own internal save features. (Yes, the instrument's state was saved in the song, but *wasn't* able to be saved via the preset handling, for technical reasons).

A year or so later, and later Logic versions, they finally got round to making it work as the varioous parts of the host and instruments were upgraded to handle larger data requirements. Spectrasonics instruments are examples of instruments with very specific, custom browser features, many of which you lose if you save data using Logic's functionality - not to mention the effort of saving, naming and organising 8000+ patches per instrument. Plus you have many levels of data - you often load a loop into a part, and a part into a group of parts, and they are different types of data. The hosts save/load feature only saves the state of the plugin - it can't be used to load Loop 14 into part 2, for example. It's the whole plugin, or nothing. More workarounds in terms of how you organise your loading/saving of different types of data.

There are other instruments too, and ones I've beta tested where I've got into the technical details and had to have the preset format changed or simplified because hosts had difficulties storing the data correctly. It's quite a complex thing, in the main, and different instruments implentation of preset handling mean that the whole thing is full of workarounds, compromises, or plain failure to use the feature completely.

Other instruments, such as Minimonsta, lose functionality when saving via the host - for example, you only get the meta patches and patch morphing functions when saving via the plugin's own file format, and that stuff doesn't happen when saving via the host.

I could go on and on about this - every develop has different requirements and they mostly all either do it very basically and rely on the host, or bypass the hosts save/load functionality and implement their own which they can be in control of and that will work across hosts and across platforms. For instance, there is little point having a beautifully organised Oddity library if all those sounds are now unavailable to me if I choose to work in Live...

That's why the whole preset thing is a complicated mess and isn't liable to be sorted soon.

There is a developer over on the PC trying to make a system to unify this stuff between plugins - it's PC only right now, and I forget the details this second, but it's acknowledgement that people recognise this whole thing is a mess and looking at ways to improve the situation.

Sid Merrett wrote:

I hadn't spotted that - thanks. You can't use the Logic Library window to search for Plugin Settings, only Channel Strip Settings.

You *can* use it to search for plugin presets, but only within the context of a single plugin. Ie, if I select the ES2, I can see, and search, the ES2 plugin settings. But often I want "a bass sound", I don't necessarily know that I was an "ES2 bass sound", or a "Minimonsta bass sound" or whatever.

The point being, I just want a sound that will work, and I don't know where it will come from. Forcing me to choose and instrument first can be counter productive. How many times have you needed a sound, and you go "Ok, there might be something in pluginX that'll work?" - you load up pluginX, flip through the sounds, don't find anything useful, then go "Ok, let's try pluginY", no... pluginZ etc etc

I miss Soundiver in many ways. *Ideally*, I'd like one central method of storing my presets which will work cross-plugin, cross-host, cross-format and cross-platform that is a standard that all developers and hosts support, and that offers the main core features that developers need, from simple, single patches with names, up to full meta data, cataloging, organising, author and notes tagging and so on. You can still give the users a choice to use the individual plugin and individual plugin's gui for patch selection, but you can get far more standardised if you want, with the advantages that gives - and you don't have to export patches into the system, as it's developer supported, all presets for your instruments would be instantly available in the library, just as they are in the instrument directly.

But it's difficult to get developers to agree on much, these days - the most likely thing to happen is someone somewhere creates a cross-platform standard for this that gains momentum and that developers and hosts want, or *need* to support.

May 14, 2011 4:55 AM in response to Bee Jay

Thanks for the detailed and very helpful response and insight Bee Jay.

At least you and I agree that this is a problem and that the status quo is far from helpful/intuitive for users.

Thanks particularly for confirming that there is difference in the way Projects save a plugin's settings versus the format saved when we manually save Logic Plugin Settings.

From what you have said regarding Minimonsta for example: In certain circumstances, when I save presets manually within Logic, I am losing information - perhaps "breaking" the Minimonsta sound/settings in doing so - right?

If so, it sounds like a real problem (if I am to continue down the route of saving my plugin settings manually) and something the contributors on the other logicprohelp.com forum should be alerted to.

As you say, this is a mess that ought to get some priority attention because in my view, there's the potential to massively improve the way we access our sound libraries.

Thanks again.

May 14, 2011 8:28 AM in response to AutoFiend

Sid Merrett wrote:

From what you have said regarding Minimonsta for example: In certain circumstances, when I save presets manually within Logic, I am losing information - perhaps "breaking" the Minimonsta sound/settings in doing so - right?

It depends on what you are doing. For example, let's say you tweaked the gui and made a bass sound you were using in your track. You don't have to save it, because the state of the plugin is saved with the project.

But let's say you want to save it, so you can recall that bass patch at a later date, or in another project. You can save this via Logic's preset management to an aupreset, or you can save it as a MM patch. The former will show up in Logic's preset menus, the later in MM's own preset browser.

So far, so good.

But in MM, a patch is actually a "meta-patch" - in other words, a "patch" can actually consist of up to twelve sub patches, which you can do variations or nice nice performance things with. So for example, I make a kinda synthy epiano sound, and I save internally to MM as metapatch 1. I then make a variation and have an LFO gate the output in 16ths, and save that to 2. I then vary the LFO to create 8th, 4th note versions, and reversed versions, and set up the patch morph to jump quickly between them.

Now when I play, I can morph between the meta patches and "perform" the LFO/gating effect in real-time, to get all kinds of cool effects.

I then save the "patch" as a MM patch, and all that is saved. I recall it at a later date, and my patch and all sub versions necessary for the cool real-time performance stuff is intact.

*If* I saved my patch as a Logic setting, it would only save the current state of the front panel - which ever meta-patch I was currently editing. Al the other meta patches would be lost and when I recalled that patch in future, I would have lost all my cool performance stuff which was kinda the reason for making that patch.

Like I say, different plugins have very different approaches to data saving, or organisation, and in many cases, the hosts' system might be generic, but it's often basic and inflexible.

Standardise definition & selection method for ALL third party plugin presets!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.