Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound goes slowly out of sync

Hello!

I am editing material from Nikon d7000 in Final Cut Pro Academic.

I converted the files in Mpeg Streamclip to Apple Pro Res 422. I recorded the sound separately as .wav file. When I put those files to the timeline I sync the sound and movie files and they look fine. They are in sync for the first minutes and then slowly goes out of sync.

Has anyone experienced this and knows why this happens?

Karl

Final Cut Studio '09

Posted on May 12, 2011 3:48 AM

9 replies

May 12, 2011 8:59 AM in response to Jim Cookman

Unless your audio recorder is driven by a proper timecode clock, there is no way you are going to keep your recordings in sync. You might get lucky a few times, but that's mostly luck. Even weak batteries in the audio recorder can slow your audio.

This is only going to result in a tiny drift at worst, even over a long duration. If the recorders are both digital, you're more likely than not to "get lucky." Sample accurate? No. Frame accurate? probably, or at least close enough that nobody will notice. ****, there was no timecode clock on my 16mm camera, just a crystal to govern the motor speed. it never had a problem staying in dead-on sync with either a nagra or a DAT recorder, neither of which had timecode.

If someone is noticing drift, it's probably pretty bad, and it's most likely because of sample or frame rate mismatches.

My question is - How long is the clip, and how far out of sync is it? Karl, If you can give a ballpark number, it should be possible to guess at which kind of problem you have.

One that's bit us repeatedly is having the wrong Easy Setup selected when importing audio into FCP. If the Easy Setup is PAL, for example, but you're working on an NTSC project most things just work fine, but the audio import happens at the PAL frame rate and causes pretty severe drift over time.

May 13, 2011 1:30 AM in response to karlrl

Hi guys

Thanks for all your help, I recorded the audio on H4nZoom Audio recorder. Isn´t it better to convert the movie files from the camera in Mpeg Streamclip instead of using the raw files?

When I look at the raw files in Final Cut, they both have: Aud Rate 48.0 KHz | Aud Format 16-bit Integer but Data rate for audio file is: 187.5 K/sec and 2.6MB/sec for movie file.

User uploaded file

Then I have my Sequence Settings like this:

User uploaded file

Maybe I should not work in DV PAL or what?

best regards,

Karl

May 13, 2011 7:19 AM in response to karlrl

I just finished working on a project shot full 1080p24 with the Nikon D7000. Dual-system audio was recorded onto a Panasonic HVX170 so my workflow was slightly different than yours and I used Compressor instead of Streamclip.

Syncing was easy on all of our shoots except for one day's session. Everything was shot and captured in exactly the same way so I have no explanation. All I did was carefully time the clips and added a slight bit of speed adjustment to the audio. Render. Done.

In Ye Olden Golden Days of Shooting on Film, I learned to shoot a tail slate on anything that was longer than about 6 minutes. The Auricon—and even the Nagra—was capable of changing speed over a long run. If I ever do this stupid film look routine again on the D7000, I shall call for tail slates on longer clips.

In case you don't know, the tail slate is held upside down.

bogiesan

Message was edited by: David Bogie Chq-1

Sound goes slowly out of sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.