Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Character Map not printing into apps, sometimes

I love using the Character Map, often its to perfect some metadata in Aperture or typically to accentuate something in TextEdit. However sometimes when double clicking the desired char it does not transfer to the field. For example in Textedit I can have a text document open and the char in the Character Map (on double-click) will not insert, so, as a workaround, I open a new document and then it works. Its the same for Aperture, but I usually copy from a text file.

Anybody else noticed this from time to time? Its been happening for a few point releases.

Posted on May 12, 2011 6:55 AM

13 replies

May 12, 2011 12:50 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I'm more of a visual man, I like the map for its quirky appeal. I could never remember all the ones I needed, I use the favourite list for that. Plus I like to take the opportunity to explore the chars when I'm looking to decorate something.

I know OS X is gaining many iOS styles, I like the iOS feature of the touch interface to click and hold a char to see all of its possibilities, that's good UI.

I think this is an error though, I don't know why it does it but it's not been fixed. I just wanted to know if I was right about it, might well submit it now.

Sep 2, 2011 11:43 AM in response to Hamper

I think I've figured out what's wrong. I use the Character pad either in Aperture of Textedit, of which the behaviour can be replicated, respectively:

So, in Aperture, when it's not possible to either double click or use the "Insert" button to get a character in then what you have to do is simply click another field and then back again and it will work.

In Textedit (i.e. OS X) it's the same; as you'll be denied the insertion of the desired character but with a simple click to another open Textedit window, then back again, it will.

This can't be normal behaviour?!

Character Map not printing into apps, sometimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.