Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP scanner not recognized by MacBook Pro 17" 2010

I have an all-in-one HP PSC 2210 Printer/Scanner. When I bought my MacBook Pro 17" 2010 last year, I could use the scanner by plugging it to the USB port and clicked on System Preferences > Print & Fax > Scan tab. I did not have to install any driver or software for the scanner. However, after several Software Updates, especially after the HP drivers update, the scanner could no longer be used. When I clicked on Scan tab, I got an error telling me that the scanner not recognized. I tried deleting the scanner and installing it again, but it did not work. Worse, the Scan tab is now missing. I can print just fine, but I can no longer scan because the scanner is no longer detected. I have fully updated the OS X to 10.6.7. Still, the scanner did not show up. How do I get the scanner to get recognized again by Print & Fax? It used to work, so I believe that this issue can be fixed. I am a first time Mac user, so please tell me how to fix this. I hope Apple engineers read this post. When I searched Google, I found out that many people have the same problem, HP scanner not recognized by Mac OS X.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 12, 2011 9:16 AM

6 replies

May 12, 2011 11:22 AM in response to h4nk

I too am a new macbook user (haven't been on an apple in YEARS!!). I was having problems with my HP all-in-one (usb plugin as well) at home. If you go to your "Applications" folder, and select "Image Capture", it should pull up your printer automatically and then you just choose "flatbed" or "document feeder". Make sure you check/uncheck the box for making a single document or not (depending on your preferences).

That's the only way I can scan at home now.

Of course this may not work at all being that I don't have the same model all-in-one that you do but Hopefully it helps! Good luck!!!

May 17, 2011 8:38 AM in response to jimmyhabib

Well, the scanner was detected just fine when I bought my MacBook Pro around June 2010. I think it is compatible with Macs. The problem started right after a Software Update that contained an HP drivers update. The scanner was no longer detected after that. I remember there was a second Software Update that contained an HP drivers update. But, that did not fix the problem. So, I know that my MacBook Pro has the latest HP drivers. My question is how do I get my MacBook Pro to recognize my HP scanner? Macs are designed for creative multimedia work, including photo editing and scanning. I just found it silly that I am having trouble getting my scanner work with my MacBook Pro. It is supposed to work right away. I don't know if Apple engineers read this post or not. But, they have to fix this issue. It is unacceptable for a premium laptop designed for multimedia work to not recognizing a common scanner.

HP scanner not recognized by MacBook Pro 17" 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.