Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Additional software is required for quicktime to playback this media."

I am trying to open a .mov file with QuickTime, but every time I try, I get the message that additional software is needed to play it. A pop-up window then directs me to a page where I can download a handful of different components. I have no idea which one, if any, would help me to play the movie.

I can press the "play" button, but I only see a black screen, and there is no audio.

I am not very tech savvy at all, so I'm not sure what informatin would be necessary to help answer this question, so I'm just going to copy down some of the video's properties:

VIDEO

-Length: 00:14:19

-Data rate: 2031kbps

-Total bitrate: 2192 kbps

AUDIO

-Bit rate: 160 kbps

Item Type: Quick Time Movie

Size: 224 MB

Also, I am running Windows 7.

Thank you so much--if you can help me out I would really appreciate it!

Windows 7

Posted on May 12, 2011 9:09 AM

6 replies

May 12, 2011 10:43 AM in response to sulliv48

Sorry.

I don't know what else to try.

It's a complicated world with Windows and Apple and media formats. Microsoft ended support for the Mac OS and their proprietary Windows formats when they switched from the AVI container to the WMP container formats.

Apple (QuickTime) hasn't "changed the rules" and offers both Mac and Windows users a version of their product. Backward compatibility (older formats) still works in most cases.

But your file is really WMP (based on the codecs). It may only work on a Mac that also has a software "bridge" know as Flip4Mac.

"Additional software is required for quicktime to playback this media."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.