Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I split a clip, it doesn't split at the playhead..and adjusting a clip duration seems arbitrary

Using iMovie 11 (whatever), when I try to split a clip, positioning the playhead, the split occurs somewhere else...seems to be at a random location. Example; I have a voice over that needs 32 seconds of image display - currently I have a portrait of the speaker that I would like to show at the beginning and end of the audio, separated by a couple of other stills. When I try to split the existing clip (32 second portrait), the split point seems arbitrary, nowhere near the point where I put the playhead...???

Also, if I try to adjust the duration of a clip (again, still images), the length that gets put into the timeline sometimes varies from my target.?? I do realize that the transitions between clips will affect this, and have learned to adjust clips to accommodate the transition timing. My frustration is that sometimes when I wish to shorten a clip duration, iMovie will actually lengthen the clip...??

Any ideas, or suggestions where I can find answers is appreciated..

cheers,

david

MP, MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 23 Cinema Display (2)

Posted on May 12, 2011 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2011 1:18 PM

You need to select a range of frames with a beginning and end so that a yellow border surrounds your range. The split will occur at the edges of the yellow border. If one end of the yellow border is at the first or last frame of the clip, it will create two clips. If the first and last frame in the yellow border are in the middle of the clip, a split will produce three clips.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2011 1:18 PM in response to sailor

You need to select a range of frames with a beginning and end so that a yellow border surrounds your range. The split will occur at the edges of the yellow border. If one end of the yellow border is at the first or last frame of the clip, it will create two clips. If the first and last frame in the yellow border are in the middle of the clip, a split will produce three clips.

May 12, 2011 5:17 PM in response to sailor

Thanks AM...while I "have" you :-) Any Idea about the second part of my post? WHY would iMovie change a duration adjustment differently than what I enter? There are no transitions overlaps to consider, and the audio track is not "pinned"...or is it? If that's the case (track is a voiceover), then I can understand this....

????

May 13, 2011 7:04 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Thank you again...the display preference is NOT set to show frame count; and I have expressed the adjustments in tenths of seconds. As I'm working with still images (entirely) in this show, frame count is not an issue...? When you say "..5.5 is equivalent to 5.15", I assume that this results when the frame count pref IS checked..right?

Here is some specific info - the first cap is before I set the clip duration to "18" to trim from the end and better match the voice-over:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, the pop-up that shows I did enter "18" is not available to Grab...but here's what I get after the change:

User uploaded file

So, no (apparent) change..?? Am I asking too much from iMovie? a one-second adjustment would not seem to be too precise..?? or, am I not getting something important here?

Thanks again for your continued interest and help.

May 16, 2011 7:52 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Sorry, I had to "step away" for a while....

As you can see from my screencaps, the clip durations for my project are quite variable...so, no, I have not checked "apply to all" for ANY adjustments or corrections.

How do you suggest I learn about any adjustments iMovie is making that override my set times? since I first posted, I have worked with the durations extensively to try and improve the "fit" of the music and voiceovers - have actually had situations where iMovie INCREASED the clip duration when I entered a value to decrease it....there has gotta be a reason that I am missing; in most cases, as one would expect, things work as I want them to...BUT :-( as noted, there are situations when it seems to have a mind of its own...

When I split a clip, it doesn't split at the playhead..and adjusting a clip duration seems arbitrary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.