Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I download OS X 10.5 to my PowerBook G4

Can I download OS X 10.5 to my PowerBook G4? I just bought an iphone and can't activate it without ITunes 10. I can't download ITunes 10 because my operating system is OS X 10.4.11 and ITunes 1`0 needs OS X 10.5.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 12, 2011 10:24 AM

6 replies

May 13, 2011 2:36 AM in response to ClareSaltSpring

Remember with Leopard, Classic is no longer available, though if you can use Startup Disk System Preferences to get 9 you still can, as long as you either had erased with 9 drivers, or do so later.<br><br>

Pre-2003 Powerbook with USB ports on the rear between the hinges only support USB 1.1 unless you get a wall powered USB 2 PCMCIA card. That is the difference between 12 and 150 Mbps.

May 13, 2011 8:57 AM in response to ClareSaltSpring

I wonder if that message is actually truthful? I only ask because I've seen that kind of message before, and what it really means is "Hey! You can't see or have everything without an Intel Mac or iTunes 10". But if you're prepared to do without certain things, iTunes 9 should work for you?

But even if this proves impossible for you, you should be able to get an Apple Store to activate your iPhone for you.

May 13, 2011 10:24 AM in response to christopher rigby1

The current iPhones with iOS 4.2 or 4.3 will not work with iTunes 9; they require iTunes 10.

And yes, an Apple Store can activate her iPhone, but without upgrading her computer so she can run iTunes 10 she would not be able to back up nor update her iPhone nor sync content not purchased via the iPhone. So activating elsewhere may be a stopgap, but she really needs to get her computer upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5 so she can run iTunes 10.

Regards.

Can I download OS X 10.5 to my PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.