Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iPhone from previous Backup: do another backup first???

I was told by a MobileMe rep that I should restore my iPhone from a Backup. When I connect the iPhone to iTunes (not set to automatically back up when connected!) and press Restore, I get the following message:

"Do you want to back up the settings for the iPhone “iPhone4 VB” before restoring the software? [2 options]: BackUP Don't Backup"

No matter which of the two I click on, I get to the next message:

"Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone “iPhone4 VB” to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed."

Actually I do NOT want to restore to factory settings, but to yesterday's backup. Where and how to I get to this option?

P.S. I once did a restore to factory settings and it was quite a lot of work to get my iphone back to the way it used to be (among others, a need to rearrange all apps into pages and folders, etc.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Veit

iMac, MacBookPro and PowerBook G4 (i.e PowerPC), and MacMini (also PowerPC), Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 4 (vers. 4.1)

Posted on May 12, 2011 11:43 AM

29 replies

Nov 28, 2011 12:12 AM in response to vburger

Yeah, totally awesome until iTunes only offered me the most recent backup point - aka the point at which I plugged my iPhone into my PC today, instead of the useful point where I backed up before upgrading to iOS5 from iOS4, because most of my proprietary and bespoke applications completely crash my phone since "upgrading" to iOS5. I guess now I'm stuck unless I downgrade even further to factory settings?

Btw, at least in Google Chrome, the "edit" function of this forum does not save edits. Lame.

Message was edited by: danjah

Nov 28, 2011 12:13 AM in response to danjah

Even more awesome, this forums' "edit" functionality doesn't function.

My edited message, because I distrust enough to copy before submitting:

"Yeah, totally awesome until iTunes only offered me the most recent backup point - aka the point at which I plugged my iPhone into my PC today, instead of the useful point where I backed up before upgrading to iOS5 from iOS4, because most of my proprietary and bespoke applications completely crash my phone since "upgrading" to iOS5. I guess now I'm stuck unless I downgrade even further to factory settings?"

Mar 11, 2013 4:09 AM in response to vburger

iTunes has a nasty habit of deleting the previous backup every time it does a backup. If you really have an old backup intact, there is a way to restore from it. It's a good idea to manually go into your backup directory and manually copy it over to a new name once in a while. That way iTunes won't touch it, and you can use it in an emergency such as yours.

<Edited By Host>

Sep 29, 2013 10:35 AM in response to vburger

Assuming you have older backups:

* Mac OS: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

* Windows XP: %AppData%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

* Windows Vista: %AppData%\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

* Windows 7: %AppData%\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Go onto iTunes, right click on your device on the left-hand side bar, and their should be an option 'Restore From Backup', or something similar, click that and it'll help you to restore iPhone from previous Backup.

<Link Edited By Host>

Sep 29, 2013 10:47 AM in response to vburger

It is very easy to backup iPhone data with the help of third-party iPhone Backup Software. With the help of comprehensive software you can easily transfer data of your smartphone to your PC within few simple clicks. So, if iTunes fails to backup your data then third-party software could be best option for you.

<Link Edited By Host>

Sep 29, 2013 11:04 AM in response to vburger

In order to recover iPhoen from old bacukp, run through the following 4 easy steps:

STEP 1:Make sure iTunes doesn’t automatically sync with iPhone when connected.

STEP 2:Connect your iPhone to iTunes and Back up by selecting Preferences > Backup from iTunes, or right-click on your iPhone and choose back up.

STEP 3:Restore your iPhone by selecting Restore under Preferences.

Note that restoring the iPhone will restore the previous iPhone firmware. Your iPhone will be completely erased after the new firmware is installed. So make sure your back up is good!

<Link Edited By Host>

Restoring iPhone from previous Backup: do another backup first???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.