Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invisible photos

This is my second attempt to get a solution to this problem.

I've just upgraded from a G5 Powermac to a MacPro. In iphoto all my photos show up as thumbnails, but when I try and double click on them, at least half come up with a black (or sometimes white) screen. It gets stranger still. If - having double clicked on a photo that comes up as a black screen - I try and edit the photo, for eg by rotating it, then it finally appears. Or at least, it usually does. Sometimes a completely different photo appears (from nearby in the thumbnail pane).

I've tried rebuilding the library, but that's made no difference at all.

Any ideas? I'm stumped...

Thanks in advance.

J

Posted on May 12, 2011 1:39 PM

7 replies

May 15, 2011 1:06 PM in response to Jonathan Renouf1

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

May 20, 2011 7:16 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi, thanks for this. But I'm really reluctant to lose my photo books. It would be a huge job to recreate them, if I ever wanted new copies.

Your answer suggests that I have a library problem. But it's such a weird problem. Sometimes I open a photo from thumbnail to view and it's black. So I go to edit and rotate it. On the second rotate a photo comes up, but not the same as the thumbnail! Furthermore, all the adjacent photos also return this rogue photo once I start to edit. Another symptom: if I reimport the photo it imports and places it right next to the old thumbnail, as if the original photo didn't exist.

Very frustrating

J

May 21, 2011 2:04 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi, Thanks again for the help. I've tried using iphoto library manager, but I can't get it to rebuild the library. In the iphoto libraries window are two libraries. One is called Photo Library, and is in black. Next to it is a window which lists all the albums. Below is iPhoto Library, which is in red; this is the one that is selected. However, the window next to it says "the folder for the library iPhoto Library cannot be found".

If I try and rebuild the Photo Library it comes up with the error: Tried to retrieve element photos for inactive library Photo Library

If I try and rebuilt the iPhoto Library it comes up with the error: This library cannot be rebuilt. The folder for the library "iPhoto Library" cannot be found.

Stuck.

J

Invisible photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.