Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My G5 17" 2.0 gHz als will not get past the blue screen.

OS 10.5. 8 installed at time problem occurred. Rebuilt logic board and power supply installed, and have worked for several months. 650 GB Western Digital drive installed, and 2 GB hynix memory installed - both have worked for several months.

I have tried the following, and received the same blue screen with the arrow in the upper left corner each time:

Reset smu

Reset PRAM

Repaired disk (no problems)

Repaired disk permissions - could not, read "No valid packages". Upon consulting this forum, I then reinstalled original OS 10.4, and permissions repair came up OK

Conducted hardware test (took hours, but came up clean)

Removed after market memory and drive, reinstalled originals.

Tried to reboot using OS 10.5 - will not.

Most of the time, when I try to restart, I get to the circle cursor, and it stops rotating, then goes blue ( sometimes looks gray).

What now?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 12, 2011 5:55 PM

2 replies

May 13, 2011 3:59 AM in response to Rickard Smith

I had similar problems after a power supply failure and repair. In my case I got your problems, and others - for example it would stop at the revolving gear wheel, or at the blue screen, or would log me in but then refuse to log out of the login account. Like you, I tried Safe Mode which worked for quite a while, then the problems started getting worse.

It turned out that the power supply failure had also caused damage to the logic board which slowly got worse and worse over time. This could be your problem too, but bear in mind it could be your new HD, which might need some directory repair (use Install disk, Utilities, Disk Utility and run Repair Disk on your internal HD). But if you reinstalled your original HD and RAM then it's probably not that.

It is most likely the logic board - hopefully there was some kind of warranty with it?

My G5 17" 2.0 gHz als will not get past the blue screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.