Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create an automator workflow for quick screen sharing?

Hello,

I'm running a 2nd mac in conjunction with Logic Pro audio, and sometimes need to access the computer quickly via screen sharing to change audio settings, etc. I do not want to leave screen sharing on all the time as it uses too much CPU during audio playback, so I'm looking for a way to automate loging into screen sharing on this 2nd mac.

This should be possible right? I've done searches but all seem to be for creating secure screen sharing networks, which I dont need. I'm just looking for a way to quickly, and automatically log into screen sharing with a single click, similar to how you can automatically log into shared computers via programs like Jolly Fast VNC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jon

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 8-core 2.93 24GB RAM Logic 9.1.3

Posted on May 12, 2011 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2011 7:48 PM

you can create a safari bookmark to VNC into the other computer. If you put the safari bookmark on the dock, you can use a single click to connect to the other computer.

in safari:

go the the address field

type in the server address: vnc://useraname:password@computerName.local (do not press return)

to the left of the address there will be small blue world. drag the small blue world to the desktop.

this will create a bookmark file on your desktop. you can rename it to be any thing you like. You can drag the bookmark to the dock. So you can single click to connect to the other computer.

User uploaded file

of corse you should replace "user" with the name of the account you've given VNC access, and password with the password for that account. and "computerName" with the sharing name of the other computer.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2011 7:48 PM in response to Jonathan Timpe

you can create a safari bookmark to VNC into the other computer. If you put the safari bookmark on the dock, you can use a single click to connect to the other computer.

in safari:

go the the address field

type in the server address: vnc://useraname:password@computerName.local (do not press return)

to the left of the address there will be small blue world. drag the small blue world to the desktop.

this will create a bookmark file on your desktop. you can rename it to be any thing you like. You can drag the bookmark to the dock. So you can single click to connect to the other computer.

User uploaded file

of corse you should replace "user" with the name of the account you've given VNC access, and password with the password for that account. and "computerName" with the sharing name of the other computer.

May 14, 2011 7:10 PM in response to Jonathan Timpe

Is there a virtual dunce cap I can put on? I use screen sharing all the time to control my Mac Pro that is the center of our media setup. Either arrangement is better than the methods I am using. Never dawned on me to try either method.

Now I wonder if this would work on my iPad. I am currently using iTeleport which is nice but this is more interesting.

Thanks folks

I've also used the ScreenSharingMenulet Linc pointed out. It is so unobtrusive I forget it is there and don't think to use till I have done things the hard way.

Message was edited by: Slydude

Create an automator workflow for quick screen sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.