Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestions for a Better Threaded View

The current threaded view layout has two significant usablity problems:

1. Finding new-to-you posts within a discussion is difficult.

2. Replies get progressively narrower the more deeply they are threaded, to the point that only a few words may be visible per line.

This discussion is intended for (practical!) suggestions to help eliminate those problems. I would appreciate it if you would confine your replies to constructive comments about that topic.

Personally, I would like to see the threaded view layout rearranged so that the right sidebar items were placed horizontally across the top of the page, perhaps as drop downs similar to the behavior of the "New," "Your Stuff," etc. items. This would free up the space they currently use for wider reply bubbles, easing problem #2 above. I think this is highly doable, involving only a template redesign.

For problem #1, some highly visible marker indicating which posts are new-to-you would be useful. I'm not so sure this is as easily doable, but for example new posts could have a different bubble background color, maybe a pale yellow, or a bold text marker in the "date/in response to" line of each reply, maybe something like "••NEW••"

A text marker would also have the advantage of being something a browser's find function could search for.

Thoughts? Comments?

Posted on May 13, 2011 3:14 AM

1 reply

May 13, 2011 1:36 PM in response to R C-R

For #1, many of the "new to me" posts are the most recent posts so if the "Latest Reply" link were fixed that would help quite a bit.

The sad thing is that I just experienced the same Jive-forum-version-upgrade-disappointment in the VMware forums. That was back in September 2010 and there are still issue. At least here the new posts are bolded. Over there, I have to check the "3 hours ago", "4 days ago" status to see which posts are new (and try to remember when was the last time I logged in. 😟 ) The VMware forums have the same issue as #2, so that's seems to be an inherent limitation with the Jive software.

You would think that Jive would have learned from the VMware fiasco...or maybe they did and didn't/can't/won't do anything about it.

Suggestions for a Better Threaded View

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.