3 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2011 11:23 AM by MattiMattMatt
josephine126 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

2 Questions:

I used Garage Band to help with my music compositions on the old eMac;

a Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Recently I bought aMac OS X, Version 10.6.7

Not only has garageband changed to the point that I can’t use it any more because of too finished loops for any composer, but also I seem unable to transfer old mac songs onto the new mac garage band and play it. Seems like all the old sounds are missing.

1. Anything I can do, to transfer the old material and get original loops on the new computer?

Or as a plan B:

Should I buy a MAC G5, HOPING that garage band on there is still similar to the old Mac, whose loudventilator is driving me in sane.

Any experiences?

Jo

Mac OS X, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • MattiMattMatt Level 4 Level 4 (2,420 points)

I would not buy an older G5 with the hope that an older, similar version of GB is on it.

Mainly, I would resign myself to keeping those original songs in their original format on the original Mac, generate uncompressed .aiff mixes of them to bring into the new Mac, and use the new Mac to generate new songs.

Beyond that, you could try reconstructing the old files using new sounds, or try and figure out how to transfer the old sounds to the new computer. But personally I wouldn't stress too much over old files. 

• josephine126 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Matti, your probably right reg G5  ... and I managed to transfer some of the old sounds onto new mac now. So off to the next challenge ... new equalizer for keybords and vocals as my edirol 20 is not accepted by intel core Macs .... why is all this so not compatible?

Cheeers !

• MattiMattMatt Level 4 Level 4 (2,420 points)

josephine126 wrote:

Thanks Matti, your probably right reg G5  ... and I managed to transfer some of the old sounds onto new mac now. So off to the next challenge ... new equalizer for keybords and vocals as my edirol 20 is not accepted by intel core Macs .... why is all this so not compatible?

Cheeers !

Well, if there's a silver lining it's that the software works much better on the intel Macs than the G5s!

Good luck!