Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to remove a virus

I got a virus on my mac book pro, my wife says she open her e-mail and then the computer went nuts haha. It show the desk top with a virus box and it say that I need to install this program to remove them or cancel. Ether one I click on it starts to download a file, so I stop it from downloading the file. I read all the time that viruses on mac are very hard to get so I have no idea what to get to remove it. For PC's I have a list of good free ware that works better then the paid ware but with mac I have no idea. Thanks so much

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 13, 2011 3:44 AM

9 replies

Feb 2, 2013 6:28 AM in response to rgfromtx

I followed the instructions in the site and i don't have MacProtector in Activity Monitor or MacDefender?

As stevejobsfan0123 points out, this topic is quite old. The MacDefender family of malware is extinct at this point, and has been for some time. You are not infected with MacDefender.

If this is relating to your Mail issues, mentioned on another topic, your problem is not malware. I would advise you to continue working through solutions in that topic.

Need to remove a virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.