Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PRAM battery replacement: 3.6v single use or rechargeable?

I have to replace the Saft and Tadiran 3.6v PRAM batteries in several Macs (none are notebooks). I have found there are rechargeable versions availible online for nearly the same price. Is there any problem using them as opposed to the usual Lithium 3.6v bat? 😕 The rechargeables would seem the better long term choice and a greener one too.😎

I also notice the "+" terminal tip isn't as big as the OEM on any replacements I see in online pics, yet all the sellers say they will fit a big list of Mac models that take the 1/2AA 3.6v bat. Anyone have trouble with them fitting?😕

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on May 13, 2011 5:07 AM

4 replies

May 13, 2011 8:12 AM in response to Jopower

Are you certain the rechargeable version is 1/2 AA? I'm not coming up with anything. Can you provide a link, please?

If it does exist, it would have to be NIMH (Nicad would suffer memory problems) and I'd imagine the biggest obstacle would be it would need dedicated charging circuitry, which the Macs don't have. You could call Tadiran or Saft or one of the distributors to confirm. Also, I know that NIMH AA doesn't put out a full 1.5 Volts, so would think you wouldn't get the full 3.6 in 1/2 AA.

I don't see the rechargeabe version giving you any longer life, either. Could be the lifetime is even shorter than the five or six years of the standard Lithium.

The only way I see it possibly working -- and not even sure it would be compatible, even then -- would be if you keep taking it out to recharge it (if you could even find a charger for that size, which I've never seen -- although, if the battery exists in rechargeable, I guess a charger must exist.) And that seems completely impractical.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

PRAM battery replacement: 3.6v single use or rechargeable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.