Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WindowServer eating up CPU; kernel_task eating RAM

Ok well I got two problems firstly one more annoying poblem is that my WindowServer tas is totally eating my processor eventho I just restarted my computer is will quickly start driving the CPU to aorund 60% pretty penently. If I am just trying to trype a message for example on a website with flash it takesthe text ages to appear lag behawfully and even in this forum the text is lagging behind slightly while typing this message. Sometimes it is normal usually when I just restarted but in the case right now not even that seems to have helped.

Then the other problem is that kernel_task seems to be sing a lot of RAM after restart it was str8 on 160MB and then after started firefox and running for about 5 mins it is already using up 323 before I restarted it was using around 600MB is this normal? seems a little much especially when I heard it was only using aroudn 60MB for other people

Hope you guys have some tips for me!

MacBook Pro 15" 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.7), i7 2.66MHz

MacBook Pro 15" 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.7), i7 2.66MHz

Posted on May 13, 2011 1:33 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2011 9:55 AM in response to chrisfromhopewell

thanks that may well have been the problem, but after defragmenting (iDefrag) this weekend, the problem seems to have gone, i think.

The problem started after clearing all the caches including system caches and i wonder if it was just trying to rebuild some, but the constant "clicking/whirring" sound has stopped and I am abled to run smoothly with several apps/intensive apps going without lag and beachball.

I am not totally sure if the problem has gone so may reset SMC next weekend anyway. It may have also had something to do with Safari but again I'm of course not sure as I am no Apple technician. I thought I would write as much as I could as this is probably a problem that will come up with other users and I could not find much on it.

WindowServer eating up CPU; kernel_task eating RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.