Skip navigation

Fast user switching

1873 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2011 5:32 PM by seventy one RSS
seventy one Level 6 Level 6 (8,500 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 13, 2011 4:33 PM

I read about the benefits of fast user switching and as I am about to open an account for my wife I would like to know more.   But …

I cannot find instructions that apply to Snow Leopard.   I have found a link … Systems pref > accounts > login options > open lock >

show fast user menu which is marked "icon" … but I cannot see where to go from here.

I got the impression that I could nominate which user accounts could be switched and that these accounts could be permanently

logged in so that I only need to click the icon.   But that's not how it appears to work.   I find I have to log in by entering the individual

passwords.

Have I missed something, anyone?   Much obliged for interest.

• CMCSK Level 6 Level 6 (10,220 points)
    May 13, 2011 5:02 PM (in response to seventy one)

seventy one wrote:

#    I got the impression that I could nominate which user accounts could be switched and that these accounts could be permanently logged in so that I only need to click the icon.     But that's not how it appears to work.   I find I have to log in each time by entering the individual passwords.

Or is it so obvious I'm blinded by it?

Thank you again.

I've never used switch users. 

It would seem to me that as the admin, you would have the authority to log in other peoples accounts as long as you know their passwords. 

"Select “Show fast user switching menu as”, and choose how you want the user’s to appear in the pop-up menu"

"From the name of the current user, in the menu bar in the upper-right corner of the screen, choose the account you want to log in to." - Indicates to me, you need to know the other users password.

If would seem to me, if you as the husband can get into your wife's account why have a password?  Automatic log in an option for other users?

Through a Google search I found this - http://kb.iu.edu/data/anfy.html

Unknown if link will answer your questions.

Image Hosting by PicVault.info

May 13, 2011 5:28 PM (in response to seventy one)

System Preferences/Accounts - unlock the padlock - highlight Login Options.

May 13, 2011 5:39 PM (in response to seventy one)

You're welcome and good luck!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.