Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think I have a virus on my mac? How do I get rid of it?

I think that there is a virus on my mac. There is a red shield in the top bar of the desktop with a exclamation point in it. It clames to be virus software and wants my credit card number. It says system infected and then dirty websites pop up. I found the file in the application folder but it wont let me delete it or put it in the trash because it says it is in use. When I try to force quite, it doesn't show up in the box to be able to quite. Does anyone have a suggestion?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 13, 2011 4:35 PM

8 replies

May 13, 2011 4:56 PM in response to ashleighfromphiladelphia

http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/6211/Rogueware_campaign_targeting_Mac_users

It's not a virus; it's Trojan, which works by trying to scare users into giving their password to install it. It can't do anything if you don't give it your password.

To remove:

First, restart in Safe Boot by holding the Shift key down at the chime. Or, alternatively, open Activity Monitor in Utilities, set to Active Processes, find the program and force quit it. This will keep it from running, but only temporarily, so you can remove it.

1. Drag the MacSecurity program -- or whatever it's called; it keeps using different names -- MAC Defender, MacProtector, MacKeeper 911, Apple Security Center, Apple Web Security -- it's not hard to imagine the new names it will be using in the coming days -- (installed in the Applications folder by default) to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

2. Remove item of same name from the Login Items for your Account in the OS X System Preferences (if it exists).

3. Go to your Home folder Library>Preferences and, if you find it, delete com.alppe.spav.plist. Look also in Application Support (may not be anything there, but check just in case) and search for any files with one of the above names and trash them. Empty the trash.

4. If you use Safari, go to Preferences>General and UNCHECK "Open "safe" files after downloading. Keep that unchecked.

If you paid for it, they have your credit card #. Call your credit card and dispute the charges. Also, cancel the card ASAP.

As a precaution, change your password.

May 13, 2011 8:57 PM in response to WZZZ

WZZZ wrote:

Drag the MacSecurity program -- or whatever it's called; it keeps using different names -- MAC Defender, MacProtector, MacKeeper 911, Apple Security Center, Apple Web Security -- it's not hard to imagine the new names it will be using in the coming days -- (installed in the Applications folder by default) to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

There is legitimate commercial software named MacKeeper which is self described as "like 911 for your Mac", although it does use some questionable advertising tactics. Are you aware of a new version of the application with this name? I did see reference today to a fourth version, but I can't seem to find any details, let alone get a copy. I am aware that Apple Security Center and Apple Web Security are among the labels being used for the pop-up site which then downloads the Trojan installer zip.

Jan 4, 2016 6:20 PM in response to jennaayyy10

jennaayyy10 wrote:

i have been getting an ad saying that my mac has a virus and it tells me to call a number do you know what thats about??

Certainly not an Ad, it's a scam. There is no way to know whether your computer has malware on it from the Internet. They just want access to your computer to prove to you that something is wrong (probably planted by them) and then get your Credit Card number to pay them to fix this nonexistent problem.

I hope you realize that this discussion is almost five years old and there is probably nobody else monitoring it. I won't be any longer. If an old posting doesn't help answer your question, always start a new discussion to allow anybody else to see your questions. That's just the way this forum works.

Jan 4, 2016 8:49 PM in response to jennaayyy10

jennaayyy10 wrote:

i have been getting an ad saying that my mac has a virus and it tells me to call a number do you know what thats about??

I have no idea how you managed to find this nearly five year old Discussion, but if you did it others are sure to also.

Please read Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages for a description of, and the solution to, this common scam.

I think I have a virus on my mac? How do I get rid of it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.