Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 15" or Alienware m14x?

Long story short, I'm debating whether I want an MBP 15" 2.2 Ghz or an Alienware m14x. Of course, I expect people to say the mbp since this is an apple forum, but I'd like to hear why. I'm wanting to do Flash animation and perhaps dab into After Effects, but I also would like a reliable laptop for gaming, as I plan to do a decent bit of that. Though sadly, I also wanted to do some Source SDK modding, which I can't do with OSX. I could always install windows, but that would be another $200 to get my hands on a copy of the Windows 7.

What do you guys think?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 13, 2011 8:27 PM

3 replies

May 13, 2011 8:55 PM in response to BetaFire

I'd be shocked if you got a response from someone who has extensively used both. Heck, the m14x just came out about a month ago. I haven't even seen one in person and because it's Alienware you can't just walk into a store and try it out.

So I'll do my best to respond and this is from the perspective of enjoying my co-worker's m11x, who also has a 13" MBP.

• For gaming, especially an avid PC gamer, you can't beat this machine. It's a really nice rig, handles all of the games I play and offers me fantastic performance (FPS).
  • It's a big "cheap" looking with all the silly lights, plastic, etc. It's like driving a Honda Civic with all the street glow lights and such. But it performs like a finely tuned Skyline.
  • Dell's support through their Alienware department has been fantastic, they're always on the ball and always quick and willing to help.

That's what he gave me when I showed him this thread. I know he loves his m11x and despite how much we rag on him for how silly looks, when it comes to games it out performs Apple's comparative model.

Hope that helps, I'd be very surprised if you'll get a response from someone with intimate knowledge of an m14x & the 2.2GHz MacBook Pro. But I hope you do!

May 13, 2011 8:55 PM in response to BetaFire

If you're going to be doing a lot of gaming and Source SDK modding, I would get the Alienware m14x. And this is coming from an enthusiastic user of Macbook Pro 17". If WoW is your main game, then maybe the Macbook Pro would be good. Macs are great if you want a beautiful looking system that is stable, doesn't give you a lot of stupid little problems like the Windows systems can give you, and has the specialized apps that you want for pursing your interests. Having said that, I will say that the MBP 15 and 17 do have the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors if you want to have a laptop with some muscle and bragging rights. At the end of the day, you have to decide which parts of the whole computing lifestyle are important to you. Some of us decide we like both, so we have not only Macs, but Windows systems as well, with maybe even a Linux or BSD partition tucked away in the Windows machine. ;-)

May 13, 2011 9:04 PM in response to BetaFire

I haven't used the Alienware m14x (or even heard of it, for that matter lol) however I do have a MacBook Pro, and I am not lying when I say it's the best computer I have ever had.

Why?

Although you can get computers with better specs for lower prices, the reason you get a MacBook is if you want OS X to be your primary operating system because you cannot legally install it on PCs...If you plan to use Windows a lot more than you will OS X, then a MacBook Pro probably isn't for you (as pretty as they are lol)

MBP 15" or Alienware m14x?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.