2 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2011 9:57 PM by Ziatron
PatsyKB51 Level 1 Level 1

I am going to be traveling to Europe with my iPad and am concerned about the security of the data on the iPad, thinking in terms of "what ifs" like "What if it is stolen"...

I have an international data plan but in addition to accessing the data network, I'll use wifi.

I use 1Password to hold all our log ins, credit card info, drivers license and passport info, etc. It syncs to Dropbox. Am I running a risk of all this information being compromised by having the 1Password and Dropbox apps on the iPad? Should I remove one or both for the trip?

I thought I was being careful by using 1Password but maybe it's too much information in one place?

What precautions should I take re: the iPad in order to be able to enjoy and utilize it without feeling nervous and paranoid?

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

iPad, iOS 4.3.2
Solved by Ziatron on May 13, 2011 9:57 PM Solved

Any computer can be hacked.  Passwords can be bypassed.

I would reduce the amount of sensitive information on your iPad to the absolute minimum.

According to media reports, law enforcement officials (who can sometimes also be criminals) have tools to hack into handheld devices.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/13882623/Michigan_State_Police_ab le_to_hack_your_cell_phone_during_traffic_stops

Reply by Allan Sampson on May 13, 2011 9:00 PM Helpful

Settings > General > Passcode Lock.

Turn it on if not already on, which should be on regardless if you are traveling.

Select after one minute or after 5 minutes for require password. A shorter time for require password is more secure.

Turn Erase Data on. All iPad data will be erased after 10 failed Passcode attempts in the event your iPad is lost or stolen.

All replies