Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transition is cutting off previous clip

I'm inserting the Transition 'Circle Opening' and it is causing the end of the earlier clip to be cut short. So the video and audio stops before the transition. I've tried moving the Transition insert to the right but this is not possible. Am I missing something??

Posted on May 13, 2011 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2011 10:12 PM

Hi

Yes - there are two ways video editing programs can do this

• iMovie way

• Every body else as FinalCut

In iMovie the material to build up the transition is borrowed from prior clip and following clip - result is time of movie is not changed.

In all other video editors one works with clip handles. A needed clip is marked with an in- resp. out-point leaving some few (or many) seconds not used in both ends. And transitions here use this Clip-Handle to build up the transition. Result is that over all movie duration increases with number of transitions - but each clip in the movie is kept in full.

I do in iMovie up to HD6 do (but this should work in any version).

• Take last frame as a still photo and then add it after this clip.

• Set duration of this last frame to more than half the time of the transition.

• Then introduce transition in between this still and next clip

Now first clip will play in full till transition.

This can be applied to the first part of the second clip too - if start of this also has to be un-touched.

Yours Bengt W

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2011 10:12 PM in response to sugardilly

Hi

Yes - there are two ways video editing programs can do this

• iMovie way

• Every body else as FinalCut

In iMovie the material to build up the transition is borrowed from prior clip and following clip - result is time of movie is not changed.

In all other video editors one works with clip handles. A needed clip is marked with an in- resp. out-point leaving some few (or many) seconds not used in both ends. And transitions here use this Clip-Handle to build up the transition. Result is that over all movie duration increases with number of transitions - but each clip in the movie is kept in full.

I do in iMovie up to HD6 do (but this should work in any version).

• Take last frame as a still photo and then add it after this clip.

• Set duration of this last frame to more than half the time of the transition.

• Then introduce transition in between this still and next clip

Now first clip will play in full till transition.

This can be applied to the first part of the second clip too - if start of this also has to be un-touched.

Yours Bengt W

Transition is cutting off previous clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.