Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Electromagnetic radiation EMR

Does anybody know how much an ipad2 emits of EMR

iPad 2

Posted on May 14, 2011 9:46 AM

36 replies

May 14, 2011 10:02 AM in response to pxsm

Talking about placement, the following pictures are from an article about EMR radiation from a mobile phone

User uploaded file

The picture on the left is the EMR impact on a grown up man, the middle a 10 year old kid, and to the right a 5 year old kid. Since an ipad2 has wireless functionality, it emits EMR waves. Kids like to play with ipads, so I believe the question is legit, in order not to put our kids at risk.

Mar 18, 2012 11:31 AM in response to pxsm

I too was paranoid about high frequency non-ionising radiation from iPads and mobile phones so I bought all the meters and did quite a bit of testing. First off, a mobile phone gives out a massive amount of radiation when in use in comparison to an iPad (using wifi, didn't test a 3G) - although I wasn't particularly scientific in my testing I found a mobile gives out hundreds sometimes thousands times more than iPads. Also, your exposure is directly proportional to distance and drops quite dramatically when held even a meter from your head - you get a lot more from a bluetooth mouse albeit in short bursts.

There also seems to be a consensus that it is long terms exposure over months/years, particularly at night when you're asleep, that is the problem as this lowers the immune system leading to all sorts of problems.

What I would say, and this is only my opinion, is to restrict how much kids use the iPad when WIFI is on (3G might be more worrying as this is more like a mobile phone) and keep it at a distance from them. I'd also keep it in another room at night and switch of the wifi when possible.

Mar 19, 2012 12:11 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Sorry, let me clarify. The consensus amongst scientists who think there is a problem is that it doesn't cause cancer etc. directly but indirectly through a lowered immune system.

There are of course scientists who disagree including many who are sponsored by mobile phone companies themselves.

I suppose it's up to the individual to decide. The decision is much harder of course if your whole life revolves around wifi and mobile phones.

Mar 19, 2012 2:04 AM in response to pxsm

"your exposure is directly proportional to distance"

That's not true at all. Your exposure is proportional to the square of the distance. That is, if you double the distance, your exposure is only 1/4th of the original. The expert in the referred video, is anything but. "Look! That's voltage! That's amperage! That's frequency!" This guy has no idea of what he's talking about. Interestingly, the video is for voltage frequency from 20-1000Hz and RFI/EMF - what you're interested in - is in the gHz range. BT has linked an informative Apple document, and it should be required reading.

"I'll keep the foil hat" An excellent idea for some. Until the mid-1960s, tanker trucks carrying gas had to have chains attached to the rear axle. The belief was that the chain would be a method to ground the truck, preventing static electricity and the possibility of explosions. Unfortunately, as the chains were dragged across the road surface, they created sparks...and those caused several tanker explosions. The chains were later removed by federal mandate. I'm suggesting that some users attach chains to their ankles, along with their tin foil hats. You can't be too safe.

Mar 19, 2012 3:12 AM in response to carl wolf

"Your exposure is directly proportional to the distance" is a normal person's way of saying "your exposure is proportional to the square of the distance" which is a pedantic and rather anal response.

How exactly can these not mean the same thing to the man in the street ?

The meters I use measure from 50Mhz rto 3.5Ghz which nicely accommodates the 2.4Ghz of wifi plus the range of mobiles..

I have another low frequency meter which measure 50Hz - this obviously doesn't pick up wifi or mobile radiation.

Mar 19, 2012 4:59 AM in response to Dynamicworm

Dynamicworm wrote:

Sorry, let me clarify. The consensus amongst scientists who think there is a problem is that it doesn't cause cancer etc. directly but indirectly through a lowered immune system.

There are of course scientists who disagree including many who are sponsored by mobile phone companies themselves.

Not all scientists who disagree with your "consensus" are in the thrall of the mobile phone industry. To imply that is insulting to the scientific community.

Electromagnetic radiation EMR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.