Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My power mac G5 wont start up properly, it does chime but the apple screen stays and nothing happens.

HELP EVERYBODY! I have a Power Mac G5. When starting up it does have the start-up sound but the apple screen stays and nothing happens. I tried resetting the SMU but to no avail nothing happens, same tried the PRAM reset it didn't work too. any suggestions. Need to do something, Need my Mac badly for work.

Power Mac G5 (Leopard), iBook G4 (Leopard), Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on May 14, 2011 10:14 AM

4 replies

May 14, 2011 10:31 AM in response to Bahaw

Does it boot with the Option/alt key held down & show boot choices?

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Tiger Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

May 15, 2011 10:22 PM in response to Bahaw

Backup your data first, Reset the PRAM and NVRAM setting if it does not help you then run disk utility and reinstall 10.5 using archive and install, but with "preserves users and network settings" unchecked. This will help you if you had corrupted system and will eliminated it..It will not lose your data and if nothing happens contact Apple guys atlast

My power mac G5 wont start up properly, it does chime but the apple screen stays and nothing happens.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.