Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I consolidate rests

I have a MIDI file from which I want to create a score for a couple of the tracks. I'm viewing those selected tracks in the score window. There are some sections where there is nothing to play and so rather than have bars containing nothing but a bar rest symbol, I'd like to have it display a single bar with a number over the bar rest showing how many bars of rest it represents.

I can't figure out how to do that --- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Posted on May 14, 2011 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2011 8:58 AM

Hi

Drag a Multi-Bar rest symbol from the rest partbox and drop it at the required bar.

See the section of the manual "Using Multi-Bar Rests in the Score Editor" (p903) for all the details.

HTH

CCT

6 replies

May 15, 2011 9:57 AM in response to dhjdhj

OK --- this worked --- however, I ran into some glitches along the way which took a while to figure out, my not being an expert in the Score part of Logic.

I figured I'd document what happened for the next person!

First of all, my score consists of multiple tracks, as I mentioned in the initial post. When I dropped the multi-bar rest symbol, I dropped it into the TOP staff. When I then double-clicked on the rest symbol, instead of getting the expected dialog to adjust the length of the rest (per the manual), it just replaced contents of the multi-track score with the single staff....I could not figure out how to get back to the multi-staff score so I had to keep going back to the main track window and regenerating a score view from selected tracks. (There must be a better way!)

Anyhow, I eventually discovered that if I dropped the multi-bar rest symbol into the BOTTOM staff, then double-clicking did indeed bring up the dialog where I could set the length to auto at which point everything worked just as I expected.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

(P.S. for your original comment, I originally clicked on "Helpful Answer" and then I discovered that I could not change it to "Correct Answer". If you know how I can change it, that would be great)

May 15, 2011 10:25 AM in response to dhjdhj

Hi

You can find the pdf's here (click on the 'view asPDF' link, or control click and "Save As").

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/

Re disappearing staffs, sounds like you need to check out the "Hierarchy" button ( also know as the 'Leave Folder' and 'up a level' button). See p 97 of your new pdf :-)

You could also move up a level by 2x clicking in the background of the editor.

HTH

CCT

May 15, 2011 10:35 AM in response to CCTM

Cool --- thank you, I will look at that "Hierarchy" button ---- as I said, I'm not deeply familiar with the score stuff in Logic --- I just want to create some simple scores to publish into my iPad music display app and wanted to get rid of a lot of wasted space.

(I really don't like this new discussions system --- yet again, I clicked on the wrong button --- marking your response about PDFs the correct answer to the question about rests. Is there any way to change these?)

How can I consolidate rests

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.