Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone4 overseas use (AT and T)

I am trying to come up with a plan for my cell phone while overseas for a couple of weeks. Anyone mind reviewing my plans and some questions.

My plan to not get hosed is to do the following:

1. turn data roaming off

2. use wifi instead of 3G/gprs/edge

- how do I do this exactly?

3. turn fetch new data to off

- this includes turning off Calendar sync and turning off Contact Sync I guess?

4. reset usage tracker to 0 (to track usage).

Does anyone have any additional practical pointers on this?

For instance, how do I prevent from being billed for messages that are left on my voicemail which I have no control over? I'm going to pay out the nose for these and I can't see how I can control them.

Also, is it correct to say that I would only be charged in the above scenario - if for instance - I actively access my email somehow or if I actively get on a website while I am not on wifi (for instance if I am using google maps while driving)?

Lastly, 24.99 gets me 20 GB of data. Is there a way to know if it makes sense to buy this?

Thanks for any pointers, urls etc.

- Jon

Posted on May 14, 2011 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2011 2:16 PM

1. turn data roaming off

Data roaming is turned off by default. In addition to keeping data roaming off, to ensure no data access when roaming internationally turn Cellular Data off at Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > Off.

Turn Cellular Data off and keep wi-fi turned on so you can join an available wi-fi network when in range.

If you have Data Roaming turned off and Cellular Data turned off, turning Fetch New Data off won't change or affect anything except for not being prompted to connect your iPhone to the internet when an email account can't be checked for new messages.

For instance, how do I prevent from being billed for messages that are left on my voicemail which I have no control over? I'm going to pay out the nose for these and I can't see how I can control them.

I don't believe you can. Having Data Roaming and Cellular Data off will not prevent your iPhone from being able to receive calls and the same for SMS. If you want to prevent receiving or placing any calls and the same for SMS, turn Airplane mode on. With Airplane mode on, all radios are disabled but you can turn wi-fi access on with Airplane mode enabled so you can access the internet via an available wi-fi network.

Also, is it correct to say that I would only be charged in the above scenario - if for instance - I actively access my email somehow or if I actively get on a website while I am not on wifi (for instance if I am using google maps while driving)?

To use Google Maps while driving, you must turn Cellular Data on and Data Roaming on. Maps data with the included Maps app requires internet access to download the maps data.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2011 2:16 PM in response to hotwheels22

1. turn data roaming off

Data roaming is turned off by default. In addition to keeping data roaming off, to ensure no data access when roaming internationally turn Cellular Data off at Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > Off.

Turn Cellular Data off and keep wi-fi turned on so you can join an available wi-fi network when in range.

If you have Data Roaming turned off and Cellular Data turned off, turning Fetch New Data off won't change or affect anything except for not being prompted to connect your iPhone to the internet when an email account can't be checked for new messages.

I don't believe you can. Having Data Roaming and Cellular Data off will not prevent your iPhone from being able to receive calls and the same for SMS. If you want to prevent receiving or placing any calls and the same for SMS, turn Airplane mode on. With Airplane mode on, all radios are disabled but you can turn wi-fi access on with Airplane mode enabled so you can access the internet via an available wi-fi network.

To use Google Maps while driving, you must turn Cellular Data on and Data Roaming on. Maps data with the included Maps app requires internet access to download the maps data.

May 14, 2011 2:41 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Allan Sampson wrote:

pardon me. i thought the gps chip in the phone didn't need data? i'm sure your right about what you've said but i'm confused about this. what can be done with the gps chip without using data?

May 14, 2011 2:48 PM in response to iinami

The iPhone incudes a dedicated GPS receiver which doesn't require data, but read what I provided a little closer.

Maps data with the included Maps app requires internet access to download maps data, which has nothing to do with GPS. Maps data is not stored locally on the iPhone with the included Maps app.

There are a number of GPS navigation apps that include maps data stored locally with the app which don't require internet access in order to access maps data.

GPS reception alone does not include maps data, which is the same with any GPS device. Without maps data to go along with it, all you will have is a blue dot with no reference.

May 14, 2011 4:11 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Hi Allan,

Thanks so much. I am looking into Skype but all this is new to me. Some follow ups please?

1. This means that I can't make calls out of my area (which I would get charged additionally for) but that I can make calls in my area?

2. This is General > WiFi. Do I keep this off generally in order to save battery life? Also, is there a particularly good widget for being able to know when I am in range of a good WiFi?

3. I don't quite follow. Am I correct in thinking that turning Cellular Data off is the portion that turns off the Fetch New Data? I mean, if there is no cell connection it can't fetch the new data is that right? Not sure exactly about the prompt issue for new mail but is it possible to get access to my normal IMAP iPhone email when I connect up to WiFi?

4. OK. So, incoming text and incoming SMS are /free/ for me when overseas with AT+T. I pay to send these. Apparently voicemail is not free. My understanding is that messages left on my voicemail are charged by the minute. I am also charged for /checking/ the messages. I /think/ visual voicemail is turned off so I have to check via a phone call back to the states (if I am correct).

So - Airplane Mode. Can you explain what this means with reference to the above? I got a little confused with the reference to radio mode. Somehow Airplane mode turns off SMS and text but still lets me get to internet via WiFi (as opposed to internet via radio/cellular), is that right?

"With Airplane mode on, all radios are disabled but you can turn wi-fi access on with Airplane mode enabled so you can access the internet via an available wi-fi network."

Lastly, I guess I still have the issue of not paying for incoming messages which I can't control and then I have the issue of wanting to be able to receive and make calls while I am traveling. I mean, it is going to be hard to not be able to use my phone to get a call from someone locally or for me to be able to call someone locally...

Thanks a ton,

Jonathan

Allan Sampson wrote:

1. turn data roaming off

May 14, 2011 4:48 PM in response to hotwheels22

You're welcome.

1. This means that I can't make calls out of my area (which I would get charged additionally for) but that I can make calls in my area?

In regards to data roaming, data roaming has nothing to do with calls or with SMS. Data Roaming applies to DATA or internet access only when roaming internationally. With data roaming and cellular data turned off, this does not prevent your iPhone from being able to place or receive calls and the same for SMS. This will prevent your iPhone from being able to connect to the internet via a carrier's cellular network when roaming internationally only.

2. This is General > WiFi. Do I keep this off generally in order to save battery life? Also, is there a particularly good widget for being able to know when I am in range of a good WiFi?

If you aren't actively using wi-fi and won't be using wi-fi for a long period of time, you will save some battery by turning wi-fi access off, but it won't make a significant difference.

Not sure what you mean by good wi--fi. If by good wi-fi you mean free wi-fi, there are a number of apps available via the app store that indicate where paid and free wi-fi networks are available - at least in the U.S. Not sure what is available for the area you will be traveling in. When wi-fi access turned on, you can also turn on Ask to Join Networks. When your iPhone is in range of an available wi-fi network it has never been connected with before, you will be prompted to join the network.

3. I don't quite follow. Am I correct in thinking that turning Cellular Data off is the portion that turns off the Fetch New Data? I mean, if there is no cell connection it can't fetch the new data is that right? Not sure exactly about the prompt issue for new mail but is it possible to get access to my normal IMAP iPhone email when I connect up to WiFi?

Turing Cellular Data off turns cellular data access off - preventing your iPhone from connecting to the internet via a carrier's cellular network, which can be used here or when roaming internationally. This does not turn Fetch New Data off. Fetch New Data is your setting for email accounts to be checked for new messages - automatically or manually. If you have your email account or accounts set to be checked for new messages every 30 minutes, if you don't have an internet connection when Fetch New Data is initiated, you will be prompted to connect to the internet so the email account or accounts can be checked for new messages. This is separate from having Data Roaming or Cellular Data off.

When you are connected to an available wi-fi network for internet access, you will have internet access for any app that requires internet access.

4. OK. So, incoming text and incoming SMS are /free/ for me when overseas with AT+T. I pay to send these. Apparently voicemail is not free. My understanding is that messages left on my voicemail are charged by the minute. I am also charged for /checking/ the messages. I /think/ visual voicemail is turned off so I have to check via a phone call back to the states (if I am correct).

Incoming text is SMS, and how will you be able to receive SMS when roaming internationally for free with AT&T? Visual voicemail messages are downloaded to the iPhone via the cellular data or internet network only. When you turn Cellular Data and Data Roaming on, if you have any voicemail messages available they should be downloaded to the iPhone at that time.

So - Airplane Mode. Can you explain what this means with reference to the above? I got a little confused with the reference to radio mode. Somehow Airplane mode turns off SMS and text but still lets me get to internet via WiFi (as opposed to internet via radio/cellular), is that right?

Airplane Mode turns off all iPhone radios - cellular for calls, SMS, and internet access via the cellular network, wi-fi, bluetooth, and GPS. With Airplane mode enabled, you can turn on wi-fi and bluetooth. Some airplanes have wi-fi access during flight - at an additional cost of course usually with longer cross country flights and international flights. Since a cell phone must have Airplane mode enabled when powered on during flight, this was introduced so the iPhone could connect to the wi-fi network if available on such a flight. This also allows someone who isn't interested in using their iPhone for any calls, SMS, and internet access via a carrier's cellular network when roaming internationally but is interested in using their iPhone for internet access via an available wi-fi network when roaming internationally. You enable Airplane mode followed by turing on wi-fi access.

Lastly, I guess I still have the issue of not paying for incoming messages which I can't control and then I have the issue of wanting to be able to receive and make calls while I am traveling. I mean, it is going to be hard to not be able to use my phone to get a call from someone locally or for me to be able to call someone locally...

As already provided, having Data Roaming and Cellular Data off alone will not prevent you from being able to place or receive any calls and the same for SMS. Having Data Roaming and Cellular Data off prevents your iPhone from being able to connect to the internet via a carrier's cellular network only when roaming internationally with data or internet access when roaming internationally being the most expensive. Calls and SMS are expensive, but not near as expensive as data access when roaming internationally. Turning Airplane Mode on followed by turning wi-fi access on will allow your iPhone to connect to the internet via an available wi-fi network and will prevent your iPhone from placing or receiving calls and the same for SMS. When doing so, this will not allow you to access maps data with the included Maps app unless you are connected to an available wi-fi network for internet access.

Not sure how you won't have to pay for incoming SMS with AT&T when roaming internationally.

May 14, 2011 5:36 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Hi Allan.

Thanks. I'll confirm the SMS and Text Message issue with AT and T. Thanks for the help here. Correct me if I am wrong. I am going to turn of Roaming in Settings > General > Network. This is internet.

If I also turn off Cellular Data - then I won't be able to send or receive phone calls - for instance those from or to someone that I need to meet while traveling?

Assuming I have this on for the moment - if I don't /send/ text or images via the Cellular Network then I obviously don't pay for that. This way ostensibly I can make calls that I want to pay for and I can pick up calls that I want to pay for. [The wildcard here being that if the Cellular Network is in fact on - I am paying for messages left on my voicemail (?) and in fact I may be paying for these even if the Cellular Network is off apparently (?). I mean, I guess I don't know whether having Roaming off or even Cellular Network off will keep me from being billed for messages? Ostensibly visual voicemail does not work for me overseas? Do we know if this functions via the Cellular Network or the Network Network?

At this point, if I wanted to access Maps - I would turn on Roaming and get on the internet. Then I would be sure to turn it right off again, yes?

Then if I wanted to be /more/ restrictive I can turn off the Cellular Network (not allowing phone calls?) and if I put it on Airplane Mode I am effectively turning off Cellular Network in addition to SMS and Text, yes?

Help me with which scenario I have to turn off Fetch New Data, iCal sync and Contacts sync is necessary or is it unnecessary in this scenario? Sorry, I have to think it through a little. Right now my email is set to Push and it goes through the Cellular Network automatically? So I would have to make sure I turn off Push if I have the Cellular Network on because I need to make calls when I travel?

Thank you...I'll get it here shortly,

Jon

May 14, 2011 5:59 PM in response to hotwheels22

I am going to turn of Roaming in Settings > General > Network. This is internet.

Data Roaming is off by default with the iPhone. Data Roaming applies to one thing and one thing only - data roaming - when roaming internationally, which is for data or internet access via a carrier's cell phone network when roaming internationally.

Having Data Roaming off, which is off by default should prevent data or internet access when roaming internationally. To ensure there is no data or internet access via a carrier's cellular network when roaming internationally, turn Cellular Data off as well.

If I also turn off Cellular Data - then I won't be able to send or receive phone calls - for instance those from or to someone that I need to meet while traveling?

NO. For the 3rd time now, turning Cellular Data off DOES NOT prevent you from placing or receiving any calls and the same for SMS. Turning Cellular Data off prevents your iPhone from accessing the internet via a carrier's cellular network when at home and not roaming internationally, and when roaming internationally.

Assuming I have this on for the moment - if I don't /send/ text or images via the Cellular Network then I obviously don't pay for that. This way ostensibly I can make calls that I want to pay for and I can pick up calls that I want to pay for.

If you have Cellular Data turned on and Data Roaming turned on and you aren't connected to an available wi-fi network when roaming internationally, any app you access that requires internet access and you will be charged international roaming rates for the data downloaded and uploaded, which is very expensive.

Having Cellular Data and Data Roaming turned off DOES NOT prevent your iPhone from placing or receiving any calls and the same for SMS when roaming internationally. The ONLY thing that can prevent your iPhone from placing or receiving any calls and the same for SMS when roaming internationally is having Airplane mode enabled or having your iPhone powered off or removing the SIM card.

[The wildcard here being that if the Cellular Network is in fact on - I am paying for messages left on my voicemail (?) and in fact I may be paying for these even if the Cellular Network is off apparently (?). I mean, I guess I don't know whether having Roaming off or even Cellular Network off will keep me from being billed for messages? Ostensibly visual voicemail does not work for me overseas? Do we know if this functions via the Cellular Network or the Network Network?

The Cellular Network will ALWAYS be on for placing and receiving calls and the same for SMS unless you have Airplane Mode enabled, the iPhone powered off, or the SIM card removed. SMS is exchanged over the same network as calls, which is separate from the cellular data or internet network. Having Data Roaming off, which is off by default and/or Cellular Data off will prevent your iPhone from data or internet access via a carrier's cellular network when roaming internationally.

If someone calls your number and leaves a voicemail, I think you will be charged for the call, which is NOTHING compared to the international roaming rates for data or internet access.

Ostensibly visual voicemail does not work for me overseas? Do we know if this functions via the Cellular Network or the Network Network?

I believe it does. Visual voicemail messages are downloaded to the iPhone via the carrier's cellular data or internet network ONLY, which I've already provided.

At this point, if I wanted to access Maps - I would turn on Roaming and get on the internet. Then I would be sure to turn it right off again, yes?

You would need Cellular Data on and Data Roaming on unless you are connected to an available wi-fi network when using it. When finished, turn both off again.

Then if I wanted to be /more/ restrictive I can turn off the Cellular Network (not allowing phone calls?) and if I put it on Airplane Mode I am effectively turning off Cellular Network in addition to SMS and Text, yes?

Turning Cellular Data off WILL NOT prevent your iPhone from placing or receiving any calls, and the same for SMS. Turning Airplane Mode on will prevent your iPhone from placing or receiving any calls and the same for SMS. Turning Airplane Mode on turns off ALL iPhone radios, which in effect turns your iPhone into an iPod only prior to the iPod Touch along with the ability to turn wi-fi access on for internet access via an available wi-fi network. All other iPhone radios except for wi-fi will be off when doing so.

May 14, 2011 6:24 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Hi Allan,

Thanks. I find these a little tricky. Particularly "Cellular Network' which I guess just refers more to the Network part and not so much to the Cellular part (at least in totality).

> If someone calls your number and leaves a voicemail, I think you will be charged for the call, which is NOTHING compared to the international roaming rates for data or internet access.

My understanding was that I pay a roaming charge for this in terms of oversears minutes. I will check with them again but this was my impression. The woman could have been wrong however of course. Then I guess the other outstanding questions are whether I am charged roaming for text or SMS that are incoming. Since I have no control over these it would be nice not to pay for them.

So - assuming I have Roaming Off and Cellular Network off,you are saying that I would not be paying for any incoming calls that I don't answer? Or are you thinking that I have to have Airplane Mode on in order to not pay for these calls?

Also, if I am following you, you seem to indicate that I can't access visual voicemail via a WiFi connection is that right? And are you indicating that I can't access IMAP email via WiFi?

And then just lastly (again - thanks) assuming I do not have access to WiFi but need to access the internet, I would turn on roaming, turn on cellular network - and at this point I would be liable for incurring charges for visual voicemail, ical sync, bookmark sync, contact sync, email push etc? Or am I mis-reading this? Do I need to turn off Push for each and every one of my email accounts individually to prevent this? It'll be a killer to pay for all the spam on all these accounts.

Thanks a bunch

May 14, 2011 6:44 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Come on Allan.

Don't leave me hanging here. If I am asking a question it means that I intend on understanding it. I can let you know if I don't think I'm going to get it...

Seems like there are a couple in there you don't have the answer for and it would be helpful to clarify for myself - and others - which parts of this post are still unanswered. You've been a great help but we are talking about handing over shovel-fulls of money to AT and T after all.

Thanks,

Jonathan

May 14, 2011 6:50 PM in response to Allan Sampson

A summary of what I have not "gotten" by now:

1. Can you access IMAP email via a WiFi connection

2. Will turning on Airplane Mode prevent me from being billed for incoming SMS, Text or Email and will not having it on mean I definitely do get billed for them? I don't pay for these normally and don't want to pay roaming charges for them.

3. If I do turn on Roaming and Cellular Network to access Maps for instance, will I get billed roaming rates for MobileMe syncs, IMAP push and/or other items?

4. Do I need to turn off IMAP Push individually for every account.

Thanks to anyone that has a definitive answer for these.

Regards.

iPhone4 overseas use (AT and T)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.