Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 12:52 PM by goatonfire
Mac Medic ( Level 6 (17,290 points)

One disadvantage of an SSD hard drive, is the number of times you can 'write' data to blocks on the drive, before the drive is wore our. On a mechanical drive, you can reformat it by writing 'zeros' to it and virtually making the drive 'like new' again. You can't do this with an SSD drive. In fact, I was told by OCZ support that writing zeros to an SSD drive can actually damage the drive, and was advised to never do that. With that in mind, I have a tip you can use to prolong the 'write' life of your SSD drive. 

It's usual for the OS X filesystem to record the ‘last access’ time of every file. This means that every time a file is read, a write is made on the filesystem to record this action. This isn't necessary and can wear a SSD drive out prematurely from thousands of these unnecessary writes to the drive. Download this file and follow my instructions in the ReadMe to turn this action off. Note: this will not affect the "Date Modified" recorded action.    

17" 2.2GHz i7 Quad-Core MacBook Pro  8G RAM  750G HD + OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Boot HD 
Previous 1 2 Next