Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find documents on the ipad?

I moved a word document from my PC to my iPad but can not find it.

iPhone 4, Windows XP

Posted on May 15, 2011 11:24 AM

9 replies

Sep 17, 2017 11:21 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

After just transferring from a Samsung Tab S tablet that has a phone sim and mobile telephone function and can let you access all your files and moving to a similar size iPad mini 4 (wifi plus cell) that cannot do either telephone or find files - I find your condescending tone a little offensive.

My Samsung tab is years old and is far superior in operation and features for a lower price. Now before your Apple hackles are supercharged, I would point out that I have been an Apple 'apostle' for years having owned G5, Macbook pro 15 and 17 inch, a MacBook Air and currently a iMac 5K desktop. I am crazy (if you're inclined to call me that) about Apple products. But iPad mini 4's, which I just bought, are in my opinion inferior to the competition. I have a iPad mini 4 'cell' version of a supposedly high quality that I cannot make a phone call from and now cannot even find a file.

According to you we all need to understand how tablets work - a better suggestion is don't buy iPad mini 4's and buy a superior Samsung (even though I hate saying it).

Sep 18, 2017 4:32 AM in response to bpbpbp

Ridiculous. The OP has or had an Apple iPad. They were asking a question about iOS on an Apple forum. Telling them to rush out and buy a different device with a different OS is utterly useless to them.

How about actually trying to offer some constructive, useful, and helpful suggestions, as was actually done when they posted back in 2011?

Since you have nothing of actual value to contribute that might have actually helped the OP back in 2011, why are you even here posting in an Apple iOS forum?

Sep 18, 2017 6:26 PM in response to Michael Black

Hi Michael,

I can appreciate that the forums are primarily here for assisting people with Apple problems and for me to have posted my comments about the Samsung would likely cause concern for some here. However, I hope apple users aren't that 'precious' that features that have been available on other tablets for many years and should be available on the world renown Apples (which I am still a massive fan of) cannot be mentioned at all.

My word skills may have suffered a little from the two days of total frustration being on the phone or chatting online for hours to Apple Support just prior to posting - one senior advisor repudiating a very lengthy chat session I previously had had. I accept that I need to learn to take a longer deeper breath before posting perhaps. Nonetheless, when a tablet (the iPad mini 4) is a wifi + cell version and it cannot make a phone call it seems to me that it is more than a little behind the times against the Samsung (sorry for mentioning the opposition again).

And yes this thread may be quite an old post but it is still active and is relevant to the products that Apple sell right now (as of three days ago when I purchased the deficient iPad mini 4 with wifi plus cell).

To assuage your concerns - I will endeavour to consume at least one valium tablet before posting next time when totally frustrated.

Regards

Sep 18, 2017 6:42 PM in response to bpbpbp

Actually, these forums are here solely for the purpose of helping Apple device users with technical issues with their Apple devices. They are not a chat forum, as explained in the terms of use we all agreed to when we signed up.

Why any Android feature should be available on an iOS device is moot. Android and iOS are utterly different operating systems. It is not about what should or should not be available on one or the other. They are different. If one meets your needs, fine. If not, check out the other. I personally have never felt any need nor even desire for iOS to do anything that Android inherently does and iOS does not. If I did, I’d buy an Android device and not bemoan the lack of that feature on iOS.

iOS does not, never has, and never will have, a centralized user accessible file system. That is by explicit design choice by Apple, not some side affect. If that is a feature you need, then an iOS device is not for you.

iOS is a quite rigidly sandboxed operating system. Android is not. Pick the one that meets your needs or wishes, but don’t complain that one, designed from the ground up to not have something, does not in fact have it.

And this thread is only active because someone felt compelled to reply to a long dead vampire thread to no end.

I actually have no “concerns” about you posting at all. But when you make non-sensical posts about things that iOS does not have, by its very design, but that you expected or think it should have, I will point out the illogical nature of that post.

May 15, 2011 1:08 PM in response to claugerbaum

The iPad does not have a file system like that on a computer. All data files are bundled with a specific application. For example if you put the Word file on the iPad using iTunes, then you may have used the App tab for your device (in iTunes), chosen an app and dragged the file into the input panel (well, as Meg implies, this is one way to do it - so we need to know how *you* synced the file to the iPad). Then you synced your device with iTunes. That put your file inside the app's storage area, and you must use that app to access the file.

So, which app did you sync your file to and which method did you use to sync, as Meg has previously asked.

Jun 3, 2015 4:19 PM in response to All comp's are Model T's

All comp's are Model T's wrote:

How can he tell you which app he's using to open the file when he can't even find the file?? please read clearly first.

As there is no file system on an iPad as there is on a computer, you have to be in an app to open a file. In order to transfer a file to an iPad, you have to have used some type of application. Please develop some understanding of how iPads work before responding.

Best of luck.

Jun 3, 2015 6:12 PM in response to All comp's are Model T's

All comp's are Model T's wrote:

How can he tell you which app he's using to open the file when he can't even find the file?? please read clearly first.

You felt the need to post to a discussion that is over 4 years old simply to chide a respected and very helpful member of the community? What purpose does your participation here serve? You have nothing useful to offer, so please be careful when you decide to add some thing totally useless to a discussion.

How do I find documents on the ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.