Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 retina and Quicktime "pro" 7 not compatable? *** !

I am disgusted that apple would sell quicktime pro (7) and advertise that it works for the iphone when the iphone 4 has been out for a year now and QT7 does NOT support the retina display resolution (920 x 640). Only the much older lower resolutions are supported for the iphone 4. Also the h264 compressor apple uses is just terrible. Heck even Videora has a far better H264 compressor and its free !

Steve Jobs, you should be ashamed for STEALING my money!

In all honesty, Convert your mov files with Videora for free and they will look 10 x better than any quicktime "pro" version, do not ever purchase quicktime pro as it is a complete waste of your money and amounts to nothing more that a THEFT of your monies ! I should have gone with the reviews as most are clearly very negative on this old product but I didnt think apple could make something this terrible, hmmm, but they did.

iPhone 4, Windows 7, I HATE APPLE

Posted on May 15, 2011 2:37 PM

8 replies

May 15, 2011 3:02 PM in response to Forgotten Rebel

I am disgusted that apple would sell quicktime pro (7) and advertise that it works for the iphone when the iphone 4 has been out for a year now and QT7 does NOT support the retina display resolution (920 x 640).

Strange, my iPhone plays 720p files (1280x720) fine.

In all honesty, Convert your mov files with Videora for free and they will look 10 x better than any quicktime "pro" version, do not ever purchase quicktime pro as it is a complete waste of your money and amounts to nothing more that a THEFT of your monies ! I should have gone with the reviews as most are clearly very negative on this old product but I didnt think apple could make something this terrible, hmmm, but they did.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as you do not indicate what pre-set or customs conversion settings you may be using, it is difficult to argue the point. However, as a person who uses QT 7 Pro on a daily basis for more than simply making conversions, I find it to be a handy application/utility to have on hand and well worth the investment for my purposes.

User uploaded file

May 15, 2011 4:45 PM in response to Forgotten Rebel

I'm glad yer iPhone plays 720p just like mine but that is not the problem I am having. When you find out why qt pro 7 does NOT support exporting ( using the supplied iphone or h264 settings) the iPhone 4 retina resolution then please respond with the correct reason.

As far as editing softwares and hardwares go I have everything from autodesk flame/ inferno down to pro and everything in between. Again please respond to my simple question only, why does qt7 not support the latest iPhone 4 higher retina display resolution? As opposed to older lower resolutions.

Qt7 still ***** and is a total waste of money as people can do everything it does better and for free. Screw apple!

May 15, 2011 5:38 PM in response to Forgotten Rebel

I'm glad yer iPhone plays 720p just like mine but that is not the problem I am having. When you find out why qt pro 7 does NOT support exporting ( using the supplied iphone or h264 settings) the iPhone 4 retina resolution then please respond with the correct reason.

You are obviously using the built-in preset options and not custom settings. You are forgetting that Apple's primary purpose when creating pre-sets is to ensure compatibility. These options are programmed for multi-generation devices and, only support, the quality/settings that are compatible with the least capable device. As such, the TV preset is limited to 960x540 display resolution at 30/29.97 fps and a maximum video data rate of 5.0 Mbps. In a similar manner, the iPhone pre-set is limited to 1620 macroblocks/frame (usually a 720x480 or 720x576 max matrix) and 1.0 Mbps video data to maintain compatibility with all previous iPhone models. If you want to make the most of your device's particular capabilities, then either use custom settings or chose a different device pre-set whose output more closely matches what you want to use on your device if you want to use QT 7 Pro to perform your conversions. If you want to use a different converter, than, by all means, feel free to do so. However, since the source of your problem is in your work flow and not the product, I was merely attempting to point out the fact that your previous comments were unjustified.

As far as editing softwares and hardwares go I have everything from autodesk flame/ inferno down to pro and everything in between. Again please respond to my simple question only, why does qt7 not support the latest iPhone 4 higher retina display resolution? As opposed to older lower resolutions.

Let's hope you fully know how to take advantage of all of these hardware/software devices/applications. If you really feel Apple should support each device and generation of device with a separate entity pre-set as created and sold since being released, then contact Apple HERE and register your total dissatisfaction regarding each and every product not to your liking. You, of course, are entitled to your own opinions. Please extend the same courtesy to others.

Qt7 still ***** and is a total waste of money as people can do everything it does better and for free. Screw apple!

I might agree in some instances. For transcoding, I tend to prefer the X.264 codec with custom settings for more extensive analysis, better vector motion detection/rendering, removal of duplicated frames when applying detelecine, and a limited combined deinterlace/decomb filtering option. However, try aging, masking, layering, blending, picture-in-picture/picture-with-picture, and similar compositing options in a "free" utility.

User uploaded file

May 15, 2011 6:15 PM in response to Jon Walker

Yes I have been running flame / infernos for almost 18 years. Not to mention Maya since it was power animator and as far as PC's go, since 87 with an original xt I built. As far as mac goes since first color mac in 89. So as far as software / hardware goes I sure my capabilities are a little beyond such a simple product like QT pro. Oh yea, my current system I run QT pro 7 on is a 3.3 GHz i7 running win 7 64 bit with 3 TB solid state drives (raid 5 and yes I did say 3 TB SSD drives) and 24 GB ram. I think this is probably one of the fastest pc going at this point in time. I do know what im talking about but I appreciate your concern.

Please stop refering to customising the output as this again is not the point of my concern. I can and will do this when I feel like it as I can already for free as previously described.

For the last time: WHY DO THE EXPORT OPTIONS IN QTP7 FOR IPHONE ONLY OUTPUT OLD LOWER RESOLUTIONS AND NOT THE NEW HIGHER RESOLUTION FOR RETINA ON IPHONE 4 BY DEFAULT????? Also why is the QT H264 code so terrible?

May 15, 2011 7:37 PM in response to Forgotten Rebel

For the last time: WHY DO THE EXPORT OPTIONS IN QTP7 FOR IPHONE ONLY OUTPUT OLD LOWER RESOLUTIONS AND NOT THE NEW HIGHER RESOLUTION FOR RETINA ON IPHONE 4 BY DEFAULT????? Also why is the QT H264 code so terrible?

Asked and answered. Apple provides a single pre-set option for each device. It supports all devices of that class. An iPhone 4 specific pre-set would not support the original iPhone, the iPhone 3g, or the iPhone 3gs. Having a separate pre-set for each firmware version of each model would not be practical from a resource management or corporate standpoint—especially when you already have a free QT X "HD 720p" pre-set option which specifically supports not only the iPhone 4, but the iPod Touch, TV2 and iPad, and iPad2 as well at the full 29.97/30 fps. As to quality, the "HD 720p" option has a 5.0 Mbps target video data rate which is 5 times the data rate used by the "iPhone" pre-set and thus provides better quality and is usually the target used by most alternative/third-party "free" converters. (You have yet to indicate the resolution or data rate supported by your free Videora alternative.) If you want or need a better answer, contact Steve Jobs at his email address. He may even respond.

Now, how about answering a question for me... Are you, with all of your self-professed experience, really as obtuse and lazy as you pretend to be or are you simply using this forum as a platform to "criticize or disparage, often spitefully or unfairly" the QT 7 Pro product and/or to advertise alternative software?

User uploaded file

May 15, 2011 8:43 PM in response to Jon Walker

JON,

You are a very annoying man ( im sure many have told you so). You may have started by trying to help but you have quickly become a pain in the arse so please just GO AWAY and don't come back.

Jon's answer: Yes apple are a bunch of lazy *** fools whom do not want to spend the time creating simple easy to create macros in the form of a preset to make output choices a simple click like many other programs do.

As far a Steve "george orwell" Jobs goes, he wouldn't have the guts to contact anyone back in the public for a real opinion of his mostly limited / crippled products. Kinda like his Ipad that can visit only HALF the internet!

As as me being lazy goes, yep , and im good at it. And yes I am trying to put down that piece of crap called QT! As far as QT pro vs other product go, I really dont give a crap about Videora or QT or any other softwares. Im just ****** because Apple STOLE 30 bucks from me for that crappy Quciktime pro 7 software.

I made this all very clear in my first email but you ignored it. Oh yea, time for you to upgrade to SSD drives with gobs of ram on Linux /win 7 64 and get with fast computing dude! oh, forgot I see yer on a old MAC!

CIAO

May 15, 2011 9:13 PM in response to Forgotten Rebel

Oh yea, time for you to upgrade to SSD drives with gobs of ram on Linux /win 7 64 and get with fast computing dude! oh, forgot I see yer on a old MAC!

Sorry, the gain in speed is not worth the loss of 13 TBs of storage/protection space when comparing your 3TB SSD drive against my 8-bay, 16 TB RAID drive (which is upgradeable to 24 TBs and hot switchable between RAID 5 and RAID 6 redundancy) and is my dedicated iTunes library drive served by that "old Mac."

so please just GO AWAY and don't come back.

Your wish is my command. I grow weary of dueling verbally with an unarmed Windows Wonder Wizard anyway.

User uploaded file

Adios amigo.

May 15, 2011 10:21 PM in response to Jon Walker

You missed again! I stated clearly that I had 3 TB of SSD Raid 5 (thats full redundency dude with gobs of speed made from drives that have no moving parts to break down). Got it yet? Have you never heard of swapable SSD drives? (I doubt it as its to new and fast for you) I also have that setup plus external fibre storage to boot! If ya wanna play mines bigger than yours (and since you started it you clearly do) then I have much more TB's of storage than your 16 TB and it all way faster and dependable to boot. Christ ya can run music off a ten year old piece of crap as audio takes nothing at all. I like working the visuals and that takes REAL power. I just like having 3 TB clear and ready at all times with 1000 MB per sec SUSTAINED R&W data performance. In other words having drives ten times faster than what you have installed is all. Oh yea, and with all me 25 GB of ram to boot. Then when im done I archive and move on to something fast yet again. Its a fast world and ya gotta keep up dude!

Im a unarmed widows/ Linux user?...yer running a bloody mac?LOL, That bloody thing was developed for idiots who like things simple , uncomplicated and limited. Mac heads could never get under the hood and tinker away. Windows I will not defend but Linux/ Unix was and is power computing ya fool!

Come to the dark side where your free to view content like flash and other things that move on the web. Unless yer waiting for that HTML 5 standard Jobs raves about, about a decade from now! Oh yea, iphone doen to 23% of smart phone sales...Android is KILLING apple now. I have owned 4 iphones and they all sucked just like apple !

iphone 4 retina and Quicktime "pro" 7 not compatable? *** !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.