Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I wanted to post an avatar - spec? how?

Hi all,

I got to the point of being able to upload my file, but the problem is that no matter what size I present, 50x50 px or 90x90 px, the "system" presents me with a fixed format and wants me to crop the image, which I do not want to do. The ability to adjust the cropping appears to be disabled.

Some help from an experienced user would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and so long for now, TOM

Posted on May 15, 2011 3:14 PM

22 replies

May 15, 2011 7:45 PM in response to dandeliondigital

hi,

Well, it looks like you are both right.

I was really dealing with "Profile Photos" when I thought it was avatars which appear right next to them. Unless when you post a profile photo it become available as an avatar. But I wanted a square crop and the choice I am given is for a fixed proportional landscape format, and I cannot change that proportion into a square or a portrait format.

I guess I have to start collecting points.

So much to do and so little time to do it in.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

May 16, 2011 1:49 PM in response to Adam The Texas Sicilian

...Why does one have to wait for 500 points? In fact why does one have to wait for points at all? 🙂

On other forums, it was to prevent "trolls" with no posts from putting up insulting, inflammatory, etc, pictures. (i.e.: flipping the bird.) So only people with an "investment" in time an effort to have reached 500 points (in this case) and the risk of losing their account were allowed to post custom avatars. And then if the person was banned, and then signed up for a new account, couldn't then upload a "revenge" avatar.

May 16, 2011 2:41 PM in response to Asatoran

That's beyond odd. I've never heard of a troll using a revenge avatar out of all the forums from PC, MySpace, Facebook, to movie forums. You guys must get some crazy types that go no where else except here on the Apple forums 😁 If that's the case then all one can is is , "some people..." 🙂

But 500 points? That's steep. I've been registered for over a year and still only have 10 points.

May 16, 2011 3:03 PM in response to Adam The Texas Sicilian

Adam The Texas Sicilian wrote:

That's beyond odd. I've never heard of a troll using a revenge avatar out of all the forums from PC, MySpace, Facebook, to movie forums. You guys must get some crazy types that go no where else except here on the Apple forums 😁 If that's the case then all one can is is , "some people..." 🙂

Those kinds of people get reported and moderators take action. But it just makes the mods life easier if they don't have to spend so much of their time "cleaning up." I was on the AT&T wireless forums and they also took away custom avatars and signatures due to abuse. Only "community leaders" were allowed custom avatars, but you had to be "voted in" for CL status.) And the amount of vitriol there is why I stopped with those forums, even though I had gotten quite high up in status and was a CL. (IOW, the neighborhood had gone downhill. 😟 )

...But 500 points? That's steep. I've been registered for over a year and still only have 10 points.

Then you need to post more, and answer correctly, not inflammatory, etc. so that other's give you points. I've only been hear for about a year and a half but if you look at my profile, I have 1100 points. 10 point means you only gave one or two answers that people thought were useful. On the AT&T forums usually someone considered for CL had several thousand points because they showed a reputation of helpfulness and you can't get a respectable reputation with just a few posts or points.

IOW, you earn the right to a custom avatar because you show your interest in "the club" and the ability to help other club members.

May 16, 2011 6:03 PM in response to Asatoran

All this talk of childishness is making me feel older than I am!

At this rate, I could die before posting my avatar. ;-)

I think they should use a merit related symbol like ebay does. That would promote posting and would identify those with a lot invested.

If I could, I'd be on here for hours on end, but the truth is, I have a collection of jobs with way to much work to get done. Mostly survival related.

And silly stuff. Like yesterday, I went to install plugins into my upgraded copy of Adobe PS CS5.1.

Naturally the installer installed the items in the wrong place, and also didn't give me the opportunity to select the correct folder with PS to install into! (are the children now in control of some of this stuff?)

After an hour of searching the pluggin maker's site for a clue, I gave up (it's all mostly related to buying yet another upgrade or more of their plugins), and so I had to write an e-mail to tech support, and then wait because this all happened on Sunday.

Today the answer came. Install failed because it wants the folder for installation to be named "Adobe Photoshop CS5" and not "Adobe Photoshop CS5.1." Brilliant programming, NOT!

So there goes 2 hours of my life circling the bowl, and I thought after 27 years of computing some of this might actually get easier, and I'm still hoping more people would imitate Apple!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6, 7 ,8 oh just me counting while my blood pressure subsides.

Thanks for the help, and so long for now, TOM

May 16, 2011 7:05 PM in response to Adam The Texas Sicilian

Adam The Texas Sicilian wrote:

But 500 points? That's steep. I've been registered for over a year and still only have 10 points.

I thoroughly agree with you that 500 points is too steep.

I also think the whole point system is silly. I get the value of identifying trusted sources, but answering for points turns responders into dogs vying for treats. But I do see that a lot of people seem driven by collecting these intangible little dog biscuits of accomplishment.

May 16, 2011 7:20 PM in response to Asatoran

Asatoran wrote:

10 point means you only gave one or two answers that people thought were useful.

Not at all!

Many correct answers don't receive points because the OP didn't reward them. And many useful answers are not necessarily the correct response to an initial question, and therefore garner no points.

10 points could mean that someone contributed many useful comments, despite their 'undocumented status.'

I wanted to post an avatar - spec? how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.