Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio too soft on youtube/iphone/macbook fine on imac

Hi all,

Back in January when I uploaded this clip to YouTube the dialogue audio was fine: http://youtu.be/7-42HDg7xzs

I could hear it just fine on my iPhone because I remember when I posted it I had played it several times for people using my iPhone 3GS. Recently I have discovered that I can no longer hear the dialogue on the same iPhone. This problem, using clips that were logged from the same equipment into Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 as the one in the above clip, persists in my most recent upload (can't hear audio on Iphone, also difficult on my mother's 2008/9 MacBook). I have no idea what is going on. I thought maybe it was YouTube and uploaded the file to Vimeo and still have the same issue. Did something change since January 2011 that I am unaware of? It's just mind boggling to me. I have tried increasing the audio. I have tried exporting the sound files to Soundbooth, and testing in there, then importing the aiff file back into the sequence. Still doesn't work.

Secondly, the new clip (http://youtu.be/9a__KfY5K-8) is a mixture of FlipCam video/audio and the video/audio mentioned already. The FlipCam audio is fine and matches what I hear on my computer. And in both cases the music track is true to what I am hearing on my computer (an iMac running Mac OS X 10.6.7).

The clips with the audio issue come from Sony HV miniDV tapes recorded on a Canon HV40 which was connected to a mixer (Rolls MX54s) that was connected to an external shotgun mic. It was imported in stereo. Both video and audio were recorded onto the miniDV tapes. The FlipCam clips are also stereo although they are not captured through Final Cut Pro like the ones from the HV40 are.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks all.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), canon hv40

Posted on May 15, 2011 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2011 8:28 AM

When you finish editing in fcp, export a selfcontained quicktime with current settings (not quicktime conversion). Open this file in SoundtrackPro and normalize the audio to 0db. (This is in the process menu). This will bring the loudest audio up to the maximum level without distorting and all other audio is raised the same amount. Then do a save (this is a little tricky as you need to save as a quicktime file, not the default stp project file. When you've done this, bring the normalized file into compressor and apply the approriate preset.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2011 8:28 AM in response to vansgirl12

When you finish editing in fcp, export a selfcontained quicktime with current settings (not quicktime conversion). Open this file in SoundtrackPro and normalize the audio to 0db. (This is in the process menu). This will bring the loudest audio up to the maximum level without distorting and all other audio is raised the same amount. Then do a save (this is a little tricky as you need to save as a quicktime file, not the default stp project file. When you've done this, bring the normalized file into compressor and apply the approriate preset.

May 16, 2011 1:13 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

hey thanks for the help! i did what you said and it seems slightly better but the music track is still much louder than the dialogue on the iphone versus the imac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_UtFWuiGE is the updated version.

any ideas?

it's still weird that the original version used to play the audio fine and now it doesn't.

thanks again.

audio too soft on youtube/iphone/macbook fine on imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.