Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Range of netboot

We have a mac mini server at work with 10.6 server on it. I recently installed two images to run off the netboot. I can see them fine and run them off any mac in the local subnet - but what range does the server support? We have 5 different sites and in theory I'd like all the sites to be able to see the netboot images. Is there some documentation for this to extend the range? Would I have to install more mac mini servers at each site to support this?

Posted on May 15, 2011 4:58 PM

1 reply

May 15, 2011 8:53 PM in response to Roie Gat

How to NetBoot Across Subnets explains how to configure netboot to work across subnets.

How much bandwith do you have between sites? Do you pay for each per MB passed between sites? Dose the network connection between sites drop out at all?

The performance of netinstall is really dependent on bandwidth. For instance a 30 GB image over 1000-T can take less then an hour, but the same image on 10-T can take day(s). If the network drops out for even a second during that time the computers could get stuck. And then you may have to physically go to each and every machine and reboot it. Not to mention the loss of a computer during that time.

If there is too little bandwidth, latency, or packet loss it can crash the OS of the installer.

Range of netboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.