Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB protection on Mac

Does anyone know of a good software for USB Port protection besides Faronics? It is not working well, and was looking for an alternative.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Wireless Router Tenda W268R

Posted on May 15, 2011 6:04 PM

9 replies

May 16, 2011 4:30 AM in response to E.Krause

E.Krause wrote:

I want a selective control over them, but mainly protect my computer from malwares works from them.

Just don't run the malware that is on them. Or better yet, don't connect a device that has malware on it.

Just plugging in a device that has malware on it is not going to infect your Mac. You would have to actively install it.

I have never heard of anything that can "jump" from an external hard drive to your internal hard drive.

May 17, 2011 8:17 AM in response to E.Krause

No. There is no equivalent to the Windows "autorun" as such, so it's highly unlikely if not virtually impossible that any program, legitimate or malware, could run automatically solely on insertion of a USB flash drive. You would have to run an application yourself, so as long as you don't launch things you're not certain about, there should be no need to worry.

Regards.

USB protection on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.