Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iOS3 be installed on a first generation iTouch?

Can iOS3 be installed on a first generation iTouch? If so, where do you find it for download? The Touch iOS is 2.2.1 and i'm told in iTunes that this is the current system available. Thanks

iMac DuoCore 2.4ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 15, 2011 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2011 7:40 PM

Yes it can. See below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2052

Stedman

12 replies

May 16, 2011 4:21 AM in response to stedman1

I checked my iTunes and am at the latest version (10.2.2). I even had a hard time finding out that the device could be upgraded to 3--don't remember where I found the info but it was not on the Apple site. I think I searched for iOS 3 and looked at the iPod tech specs and wasn't able to locate and pertinent links. Just glad that it can be done and that it will run "Words for Friends" Thanks again

May 16, 2011 7:02 AM in response to ReidMac

I tried to purchase the upgrade to 3.1 and get this alert in iTunes after agreeing to the legal stuff.

User uploaded file

Once this happened, I restored the system in the Touch just to make sure it was ok. Also, checked again to make sure I have the current version of iTunes--yes. Tried to purchase the upgrade again, and got the same Alert. Does this indicate a temporary problem with iTunes or something on my end? thanks

Oct 27, 2011 5:55 AM in response to nuni_t

Yes, I finally was able to upgrade--sorry for not posting the solution. Forgotten what the suggested fixes were, but I tried them all and nothing worked. The problem seemed to be that when the iPod was first purchased I was using a different e-mail address for my Apple account creating permission issues. I think that what I did was edit my Apple account info to use the old e-mail address, update the iPod to iOS3.3, then switched the account back to my current e-mail. I was in contact online with Apple about the problem but resolved the issue before they were able to help. I had the same issue a year or two earlier with permissions for songs purchased under the old e-mail address. The songs wouldn't play when I transferred them to a newer Touch that I had bought. Cannot remember exactly how I resolved that one--may have been done through Apple online tech support. Unfortunately, I have deleted the e-mails concerning both of those occurences. Hope this helps.

Can iOS3 be installed on a first generation iTouch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.