Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp "the disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." what to do?

I am attempting to reinstall windows on my MacBook via bootcamp. I have done this before but at the advice of the genius bar today, uninstalled it due to some problems. Now I am reinstalling but after being told the partition size was too small, after making it larger, I am now getting a message that says "the disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved". I don't know how to get past this. Any advice? What is the proper partition size for windows? Thanks in advance.

windows, Windows XP

Posted on May 15, 2011 7:47 PM

1 reply

May 15, 2011 8:45 PM in response to sactoipod

Hi,

In essence the BootCamp Assistant cannot find a free contingeous diskspace of the size you want to use for WIndows partition/installation and thus fails.

The easiest approach is to clone your OSX to an external harddisk, reformat your internal harddisk and then restore your OSX from the external HD to the internal one.

This 'defrags' the OSX volume so that the BC Assistant can find the diskspace he needs.

SuperDuper and/or Carbon Copy Cloner can do this quite 'painless'.

A Time Machine backup also works.

There are also some commercial solutions for defragging like iDefrag and Drive Genius.

For Windows XP the partition size should be at least 10GB plus the diskspace needed for the Windows programs and files you work with.

Regards

Stefan

Boot camp "the disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." what to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.