Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help please Programs to run

I am trying to install mac os 9.2.1 on my powerbook g4 17 inch in classic of coarse. The problem is when i try to boot into it it gives me an error saying " Classic cannot update the files in "system Folder" on "Mac OS 9.2.1" because the disk is read only". If anyone wants more information just ask. Also if you want to recomend a program just link it. i have many programs i need to run and im hopeing my powerbook will do the trick.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 15, 2011 10:40 PM

21 replies

May 16, 2011 7:30 PM in response to NickCDaniles

Please explain in detail exactly what you are trying to do that brings the error message up. It is not possible to "boot useing classic." That phrase has no meaning. So we need a clear account of exactly what steps lead to the error message. If you are too busy to provide this essential information, no one will be able to help you.

May 16, 2011 11:02 PM in response to eww

ok so i put the disk in my powerbook when it is fully booted. i open either " Mac OS Install" or "Install Mac OS 9.2.1" I think that they are the same thing. (is there is one of these i should be working with tell me). It starts booting with the little mac with a smiley face then a popup comes out saying "Classic cannot update files in "System Folder" on "Mac OS 9.2.1" because the disk is read only. to select another system folder, click Open Classic Preferences." So i click that. It takes me to Classic Preferences and under Select a system folder for Classic, all of the folders are grey instead of dark so none of them are useable. shortley after this i found the system folder on the disk but i dont know how to use it or where to put it. the system folder is a folder not a dmg by the way so its not finding it. so if it can convert it to a dmg or learn how to mount it i will be very pleased. thank you sorry for being new to macs.

May 17, 2011 6:02 AM in response to NickCDaniles

See whether anything in these two articles is helpful:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2431?viewlocale=en_US

I think the greyed-out System Folder that you are unable to select and update is probably the System Folder on the installer CD (which is and always will be read-only) rather than the System Folder on your hard drive. The latter is what you want to select.

May 19, 2011 6:50 PM in response to Braby

ok the problem i have is that i have no OS 9 system folder in the startup disk section of my settings is there a way to fix this. and also when i get home (on vacation till may 28th) i have a friend who dosent need the leopard disk anymore and ill take that. the question about leopard is will classic install easy preferbaly with only a couple problems that i will be able to fix. (thank you to Eww and Braby for helping me through this.

May 20, 2011 3:54 AM in response to NickCDaniles

I'm afraid the bad news is - to quote directly and succinctly from Apple -

"Classic applications do not work on Intel processor-based Macs or with Mac OSX 10.5".

In other words if you upgrade to Leopard you can't install OS9/Classic and that's that.

As to getting it running with your current 10.4 installation, are you using the original installation discs that came with the PowerBook? As I recall you could choose to install Classic or not and the latest version that shipped with any computer was 9.2 . Versions 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 were downloadable updates so I'm puzzled as to how you could have a 9.2.1 install disc! However its all a long time ago so forgive me if I'm wrong......

May 20, 2011 10:00 AM in response to Braby

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Apple-Retail-OS-9-2-1-Install-Cd-Classic-Manual-etc-/310 318490539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48406c63ab -------------that is exactly what my install disk looks like and has the same os (in the bottom left you will see Version 9.2.1 on it)

About Mac OSX 10.5 i have a seperate partition with 50 gigs so i was just wondering it it would be better i will still install it but thank you for telling me classic wont even work on it. but on all the questions i read about it one of the effected os's was 10.5 on almost all of them that were about classic.

(eBay is great for examples) thanks again.

May 20, 2011 10:37 AM in response to NickCDaniles

Wow - I didn't know there was a retail install disc for 9.2.1. I thought by that stage all Macs were shipping only with OSX together with Classic as an optional install with downloadable updates from Apple.

Over to Mac historians for the full story.......

I still think it would have been best for you to install Classic from the PB's original installation discs, but possibly you don't have them? Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more help, maybe someone else can take up the quest.

As a farewell gift here's the link to Apple's OS9 support. Good luck.

http://www.apple.com/support/macos9/

Help please Programs to run

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.