Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you transfer individual photos

Hi there,

Just bought my first ipad and iMac and am having a few problems firguring out how to transfer indiviual photos/images to my ipad. I have created a few images using GIMP and dropped them in their own folder. I know I can sync entire folders to my ipad but I dont want all the images from the folder on the ipad, only a select few. I tried opening the folder in Finder and simply dragging them onto the iPad area in iTunes but iTunes whines at me that it doesnt like that format (odd as I though iPads supported jpeg). Tried changing the images into PNGs to see if that made any difference, but no joy there either. I know I can use a third party app like dropbox, but that is a no goer at the moment (no internet connection at home atm).

Any suggestions?

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 16, 2011 7:24 AM

12 replies

May 16, 2011 8:04 AM in response to Community User

as far as I know from an iPhone 4 user point of view you could just create a folder and move images you want on the iPad to that folder. Then in iTunes under photos choose your iPad folder.

For example:

Photos (all your photos)

Photos\iPad (place photos you wish sync to your iPad)

I've not tried this yet on the iPad (but I will) but I think it will work.

Hope this helps

May 16, 2011 8:21 AM in response to Community User

Jpeg should work. You have to import them via iTunes. I am not able to do this on my Mac right now, but from memory ...

When you connect your iPad to your Mac, launch iTunes. Select your iPad name on the left side under the heading - Devices. The in the iTunes window on the right side, click on the Photos tab at the top. You get options in there to choose from iPhoto (I think by default), but you can navigate to a different folder on your hard drive from the bar that has the iPhoto option in it. Select your folder from there. The other option would be to import them into an album in iPhoto and select the photos from there.

Since you only want to import certain photos and not the entire album, my advice would be to import each photo into iPhoto one at a time as it's own event or album. Once again, I can't do this for you right now, but it really is easy pretty easy to do in iPhoto. Import a photo and make that photo an individual event. Then when you sync to iTunes, somewhere in that window on the right side of iTunes (while the iPad is connected to your Mac) - you can select individual events, albums, etc to sync.

Jul 29, 2015 12:35 PM in response to kissaway

kissaway wrote:

That is insane. I have 520 small jpeg graphic files, and your saying I have to import them one at a time?

kissaway,

The OP asked how to import individual photos. That's why Demo provided the answer that you're wondering about.

All you have to do is put all of your 520 small jpeg photos into a single folder or album in iPhoto and you can then sync all of them at once.

Jul 29, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Ralph9430

ok, so now I have a folder in iPhoto with 575 graphics, Not in 'sub categories', which was my original intent, so that I could access them into a business app. (As I work from my iPad) The problem other that scanning 575 graphics every time I want to insert one for a customer, is that on the Tablet, in Photos, I will always have 575 photos in the main library. Even if I create an album, they are still stored over in the mainPhoto collections. Then I will not be able to navigate and function when I take real photos from the tablet in any kind of timely manner.

Jul 29, 2015 1:36 PM in response to kissaway

If I dare, to import all 575 of these graphics into my iPad, a 'warning' pops up, saying all the photos from the iPhoto that I have selected will be synced with the iPad, but all other photos from other apps will be deleted, but that photos actually taken with the iPad will be saved. I DONT want to delete all the other photos , I just want to add some. HOW do you do that?/

Jul 29, 2015 1:48 PM in response to kissaway

Ah, you hadn't mentioned iPhoto before. If you sync with iPhoto its albums will be mirrored on the iPhone. But iPhoto is being retired by Apple, replaced with iCloud photos. If you are running Yosemite 10.10.4 you already have it. You can move your photos into the "Photos" app, organize them, and they will automatically sync to your iPad over WiFi.

Jul 29, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you Lawrence,

I do wonder though, every time I try to work with Apple they best thing to do is upgrade to a new version of the software. One would think that just exchanging photos would not require a System change??? And that being said. I don't want to have all my photos automatically syncing with all my Devices, IUnless I wanted to follow Apples plan for me to go down tot he Apple sire and buy more storage for a new iPad. Is that the best way to go. Maybe we should all just buy new Apples every 7 months. Other apps on the tablets only allow photo picking from the main photo lib ray. They are not Apple apps. So when we all transition to iClould sharing, these apps will not be able to selectively grab photos. Because they sonly grab photos from the main photo library and not out on the cloud.

Jul 29, 2015 1:59 PM in response to kissaway

Well, it isn't Apple's plan, because there is no way to add storage to an iPad.

There are quite a few apps for displaying photos on an iOS device; if you don't want to use Apple's (which is pretty basic, IMO) there are hundreds of other options. Quite a few for Picasa, Shutterfly, etc. Unfortunately, the one I use is no longer available in the App store, which is too bad, because it is really excellent.

Jul 29, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I am not trying to display photos, I need to insert them into a Inspection app, and I don't know if iPad allows an app to access any other "display" app in order to grasp the photo into my inspection app. It should depend on my Inspection app, but I believe it is defaulted programed to grab photo for the main apple photo icon section file system what ever it should be called. I really am trying to make a living and not spend inordinate amounts of time learning apple. Where is the intuitiveness. Thanks again Lawrence.

How do you transfer individual photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.