Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't launch in windows 7 64 bit

itunes used to work fine under Windows 7. Recently it stopped responding. It won't launch. I can see that the processes are running, in Task Manager. But iTunes never opens.

I have tried a dozen ideas from hardware review forums and I have done all that the Apple site suggests here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1717.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes 64 bit and Quicktime and removed and re-installed the Apple Application Support.

Nothing so far has changed anything.

Can anyone help me find out why this is happening and how to correct it?

Windows 7

Posted on May 16, 2011 10:10 AM

13 replies

May 19, 2011 3:52 PM in response to spikeofcartigny

Quicktime does NOT start

🙂 Many thanks.

In recent times, the error-message-free iTunes and QuickTime launch failures have been indicating that another application has stashed old QuickTime componentry in your system files.

So just in case we'll go looking for older QuickTime componentry in the most common locations for it to be stashed.

First we'll need to change some view settings.

In your Start menu, open Computer.

In your Organise menu, select Folder Options.

In the View tab, make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" isselected, and Hide extensions for known file types isunchecked.

Click OK.

Now in Computer, open your C:\ drive (or whichever drive you have your operating system installed on).

Open the "Windows" folder.

Open the "SysWOW64" folder.

What files and folders can you see in there withQuickTimein the title? (In a standard installation of Quicktime you should be seeing precisely twofiles... QuickTime.qts and QuickTimeVR.qtx ... and no QuickTimefolders whatsoever.)

May 23, 2011 5:32 PM in response to spikeofcartigny

Those are all okay. Must be something else going on.

Backtracking. When you worked through:

iTunes for Windows Vista or Windows 7: Troubleshooting unexpected quits, freezes, or launch issues

... did the trouble seem to be user-specific or systemwide? (Knowing that can help with working through other troubleshooting possibilities that aren't on the books.)

Mar 8, 2012 6:14 AM in response to b noir

Hi b noir

I got as far as here ...

Now in Computer, open your C:\ drive (or whichever drive you have your operating system installed on).

Open the "Windows" folder.

Open the "SysWOW64" folder.

What files and folders can you see in there withQuickTimein the title? (In a standard installation of Quicktime you should be seeing precisely twofiles... QuickTime.qts and QuickTimeVR.qtx ... and no QuickTimefolders whatsoever.)

....on your recommendations. I have these two files. in my SysWOW64 folder. Can you please advise what I should do next to fix the problem of not being able to open iTunes. Many thanks.

Mar 20, 2012 12:07 PM in response to b noir

Having similar problems here as well. After several uninstall/reinstall attempts (including Revo Uninstalling all of the 32 bit Apple applications) nothing has worked. It is a user specific problem since my guest can open itunes. I have tried all the Apple recommended processes. All that happens now is: I get the license agreement, I accept, then nothing opens, despite itunes being visible in windows task manager. The window just won't open.

Feb 25, 2014 4:36 PM in response to spikeofcartigny

I'm experiencing the exact same thing and have been unable to launch iTunes since a recent Microsoft update around Christmas time. Is there anyone out there that can help on this goofy void between Microsoft and Apple? I love to be in the middle of their software feud and each of them accuses the other of the problem without actually giving us poor souls a legitimate fix.....

Aug 12, 2014 3:25 PM in response to spikeofcartigny

A Real Solve!!

i had this problem a few days ago and after talking to (2) apple reps who couldn't help, I finally found the answer so I felt like I owed it to post this to help others. I'm running windows 7 (64 bit) On an hp laptop. After installing and reinstalling literally about 10 times, I realized that wasnt working. Without further a due here is the fix....

install current version of itunes from itunes.com

go to start -> command prompt and run as administrator

type in sfc/ scannow

Let it scan and after it shows what corrupt files were fixed you should be good

open itunes

now how simple was that

iTunes won't launch in windows 7 64 bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.