Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to set screensaver to always come on?

For whatever reason, there are certain apps that when running, will not allow the screensaver to activate. I often capture several hours worth of video using iMovie HD, and if I fall asleep or forget to return to the computer for a while, the screensaver will not work, no matter what settings I use, and the screen will stay full brightness. I have started noticing minor burn-in on my screen and really want to prevent it.

Is there some setting or preference I am missing? Or is there a third party app that will let me make additional adjustments to my screensaver settings?

David Y

20" Intel Imac / 15" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on May 16, 2011 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2011 3:07 PM

In System Preferences > Exposé & Spaces > Exposé

Set the Hot Corners something as you see in the screen shot:

User uploaded file

This will allow you to immediately turn off the display or start the screen saver as soon as you want to leave your workstation without the concern of the display open for hours.

7 replies

May 16, 2011 7:18 PM in response to David Yellen

If I am reading you correctly you want to force the screen saver on when your machine is finished doing whatever it is doing and you are not there to know when it's finished. If so the previous answer won't help you. But related to that I stumbled on this neat little app. If you could find a way to execute it on some particular event it could probably satisfy what you want to do.

As an alternative suggestion how about forcing your machine to sleep as a function of your Energy Saver preferences? What you describe is that something is keeping your energy saver settings from turning on your screen saver. I've had a similar problem, but I wanted the machine to sleep, not screen save, and I could never find out what's keeping my machine from obeying the energy saver preferences (although I suspect it's my non-apple USB keyboard based on the kernel.log -- you might want to look at that by the way to see if you see anything related to your problem). At any rate I solved my problem by using a little app called PleaseSleep. It forces my machine to enable the sleep settings. Maybe this would work for you if you don't mind sleep instead of screen saving.

May 17, 2011 2:06 AM in response to David Yellen

That seems unusual for it to be negated so quickly like that. You didn't nudge the mouse and dislodge the pointer from the selected corner? Once you activate the Hot Corner you have to leave the pointer in that position. Perhaps you inadvertently touched a key on the keyboard? Sometimes a slight bump of the computer table can undo it. Other than those couple of things I can't come up with an answer. Perhaps another member of the forum can help provide insight.

Jun 5, 2015 2:28 AM in response to David Yellen

Meh replying to 2011 post. To anyone else that was having always awake issues. The way i fixed for customer was replacing keyboard. Past liquid damage caused a sometimes keyboard key press waking the computer up. It got so bad that the computer would not sleep even when closed. This can also be true for a damaged trackpad to cause phantom movements. With phantom trackpad there would be no evidence. Definitely would require some testing but you never know.

Is there a way to set screensaver to always come on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.