Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice? Best OS 9-bootable desktop

Greetings, I am ready to retire my studio's MDD G4 "windtunnel" Desktop - which ironically

has been in my recording studio control room (acoustically isolated as best as possible) for

over a decade. I need to maintain a solid, stable OS 9 bootable machine as we have a vital

piece of audio software that is OS 9-only. Prior machine was the Blue and White AGP Graphics

machine - which i still have around for backup..

I was just reading a PowerMac G4 Wiki Page that discussed the infamous noisy

MDD machine - and i discovered a few things i never knew about it- like Apple's voluntary DIY

replacement scheme for the loud PSU and fan (wish we'd heard about that deal) but also some

disturbing news about a common ground loop issue for pro balanced signal audio equipment

users (like me). This explains a few anomalies over the years - and definitely time to put this

one into office duty or storage.

This said, what machine would anyone suggest as the best for reliability and minimum known

issues of any kind - in the Mac line - as a substitute OS 9 bootable 'workhorse.' -- I can't run

Classic within OSX given my soundcard requirements - has to be 'native' os 9. I seem to recall

this machine was the last one capable of OS 9 bootability - (why we went with it in the first place).

Would the previous generation to this have a stable, suitable model to consider? Quicksilver?

I need as much processor power as possible as it's for audio production - and maximum connectivity

options (at least one FW, 2 USBs + at least 2 PCI slots).

I'd greatly appreciate any specific model suggestions from my fellow OS9ers who know this hardware history.

$$ not a huge concern as i doubt the pricing is going to be exorbitant on this generation of box.

Thanks much,

Mike

G4 Dual Boot 1.25 MDD, TiBookG4, IbookG3, older PMacs, Mac OS 9.2.x, OS 9.2.2. + Tibook-OSX 10.39, Ibook 10.39

Posted on May 16, 2011 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2011 11:40 PM

I'd suggest re-posting this topic in the G4 Forum, where you'll get specific recommendations from Quicksilver owners, as that's probably the model that will best suit your needs.

3 replies

May 18, 2011 11:26 AM in response to MIKEinMICH

This page http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html lists the specs for all G4 models. The G4 1.25GHz DP model is the last model made that can boot into OS 9.x Whatever model you get be sure to get the install/restore discs that came with the Mac, because most of the later model Macs that can boot OS 9 have a special version of OS 9.x for that model. You'll need this if you ever have to reinstall the OS.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

User uploaded file

Advice? Best OS 9-bootable desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.