Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firewall preferences not "sticking"

I have applications that, when run, cause a dialog to pop up asking "Do you want the application "blah blah" to accept incoming network connections?" I then select "allow" or "deny" and then the next time I run the application... I have to do it again. Is there a way for the firewall to remember these preferences?

They do appear in the system preference pane for security under "firewall" when I click advanced. So why doesn't it stick?

Macbook unibody, Pismo, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 16, 2011 8:02 PM

7 replies

May 16, 2011 8:22 PM in response to Paul Bailey3

I think it is a bit of a bug for it to keep nagging like that. It occurs as far as I can tell, with Applications that share their content.

For example in iPhoto, if you have selected in its preferences 'Share my photos' the Firewall makes that nagging request. By deselecting that selected preference, it will stop the nag.

This is not a solution but a possible means of alleviating it to some extent, regarding applications where sharing content is not important.

May 16, 2011 8:19 PM in response to Paul Bailey3

"Some applications check their own integrity when they are run without using code signing. If the Application Firewall recognizes such an application it will not sign it, but then it will re-present the dialog every time the application is run. This may be avoided by upgrading to a version of the application which is signed by its developer."

Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6: About the Application Firewall

May 25, 2011 9:40 AM in response to Linc Davis

Okay, it is actually worse than I realize. If I print two documents back to back (so that the print driver does not quite between printing them) I must tell the firewall to allow each print job. The application has already been granted the ability to accept incoming network connections of this type! Sigh.

Is there some third party firewall you would use?

Jul 24, 2011 4:33 AM in response to Paul Bailey3

You can check a valid code signing with the terminal command (example shown for iTunes):

codesign -v /Applications/iTunes.app

If code signing is ok, the command will return with no output otherwise you'll see something like:

a sealed resource is missing or invalid

try: delete the app, remove entry in preferences/firewall, reinstall app as administrator of computer

When you launch app the first time, accept incoming network traffic, authenticate as administrator

after this the preference should "stick"

firewall preferences not "sticking"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.