Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bass distortion when recording in Garageband

Hi everyone,

For the last 2 days I have been bogged down by a mind boggling problem. I just can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

I have recorded 3 tracks in garageband so far. All sound good, including bass.

The third track is my problem. I am trying to record the bass and have pretty much the same settings in GB and the bass as well as the pre amp I have ben using (TubeAmp).

The problem is that only in this track does my bass sound distorted when recording.

I checked and checked again: the levels are set to exactly the same on the other tracks as on this track and of course I chose 'real instrument' as the track type as well.

I have tried to lower ALL possible levels in GB, the bass and TubeAmp: all I get is a weak signal due to the low levels and even that low level is distorted!

In a nutshell: Whatever I do, the bass in this track is distorted, so I cannot record the bass track until I can get this issue fixed.

I also experienced the same problem with an external synth which I tried to record. I plugged the synth into the pre amp and then pre amp to GB, but again, distortion at all levels!. I ended up micing the synth (mic to synth speaker!) to actually record the sound, how ridiculous is that?!

Has anyone come across this problem or can you advise?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on May 17, 2011 4:49 AM

3 replies

Bass distortion when recording in Garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.