4 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2011 8:29 AM by Kirby Krieger
Strelizia regina Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I've created a .PNG watermark file 600x50, duplicated the export preset JPEG Original size and edited the preset as follows:

- ticked Show Watermark,

- set the Position to Lower Right

- Opacity to 50%

- chosen the .PNG file (which Aperture has copied across to its Watermark Images folder)

- I have left Scale watermark unselected.

The duplicated and edited preset has been saved and comes up whenever I chose File, Export, Version.

The export creates a JPEG copy as expected, but no watermark is added.

Any suggestions???

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Aperture 3.1.2
  • 1. Re: Why won't Aperture add my watermark to images at export?
    Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,945 points)

Might it be too small?  What size are your JPG's?  You are exporting at original size, and your watermark is only 50 pixels in one dimension (unless that's a typo).

Try exporting to an image size of 600 x 600, and set opacity to 100%.  This should confirm whether your watermark is being used.

Then you can trouble-shoot either:

. the watermark is not being used, or

. the watermark is not giving me the result I expected.

• 2. Re: Why won't Aperture add my watermark to images at export?
    Strelizia regina Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Spot on - at 600 x 600 and 100% opacity the watermark is added fine.

So all I have to do is work out what size watermark file I need for my standard export size, 1024 x 1024.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Why won't Aperture add my watermark to images at export?
    Jade Leary Level 3 Level 3 (665 points)

If you're often using 1024x1024 you can create your watermark in a canvas that's already that size, place it where you want and just leave the rest of the image transparent. It's a good way to keep things consistent and avoid Aperture's sometimes odd scaling and placement.

Just a thought.

• 4. Re: Why won't Aperture add my watermark to images at export?
    Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,945 points)

You're welcome.  Glad I guessed well.

Once I settled on a watermark I was comfortable using, I created versions at a range of regularly used sizes: 320, 640, and 1024.  I assign the watermark and the export size to an Export Preset, and just select the Preset I want.  My 1024 watermark works on images fit within a 1920 square.  That's the biggest export I watermark.

It's a bit of set-up time after one has settled on a watermark to make different size versions, but -- as Jade Leary points out -- its the best way to use watermarks using Aperture alone (it is what is recommended in the User Manual).

I actually often combine my watermarked images with borders that have text on them.  I do this with Border FX -- a free plug-in all of whose tools are worth getting to know.  There is a watermark -- unobtrusive, the way I like it -- on the lower-left of this image superimposed on the image (not really visible at this resolution -- click and you can see it in the larger version), in addition to the title and date and name in the border.

2011-05-16_WetRenunculiSTF_901_1 of 6_DSC08975_WetRenunculus_19.jpg

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger