Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro screen is separating from the case, how to fix

The screen on my macbook is separating from the case. Is this something I can fix?

MacBook Pro, This is a reconditioned model

Posted on May 17, 2011 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 12:04 PM

It is a known problem Apple is refusing to cover if you have so much as a scratch on the case. Call Apple Customer Service, and then escalate up to Investor Relations if you have to ( tell them you will sell all the substantial stock you hold in street name if they don't) fix the glue defect that is supposed to hold the screen aluminum to the plastic bits.

This has happened to hundred and hundreds of MBP 15's, many from the 2009 manufacturing timeframe.

And by all means, if they don't take care of you, tell everyone you know NOT TO BUY Apple products. Market forces are a wonderful thing !

62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2012 12:04 PM in response to ralphfromchapel hill

It is a known problem Apple is refusing to cover if you have so much as a scratch on the case. Call Apple Customer Service, and then escalate up to Investor Relations if you have to ( tell them you will sell all the substantial stock you hold in street name if they don't) fix the glue defect that is supposed to hold the screen aluminum to the plastic bits.

This has happened to hundred and hundreds of MBP 15's, many from the 2009 manufacturing timeframe.

And by all means, if they don't take care of you, tell everyone you know NOT TO BUY Apple products. Market forces are a wonderful thing !

Jun 4, 2012 12:40 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I will be happy to send you links for dozens of reported cases. I am giving an estimate, if you would like the logic behind the estimate, then read on. BTW, I love my MBP 15", I do wish it would not be falling apart after being well taken care of in 30 short months. Reports of this failure started in early 2009 on machines that were as little as 6 months old.

Method 1 for estimate: Common sense will tell you that if the display cases are glued together (and they are), and they are composed or 2 different materials, plastic and aluminum, that ANY adhesive will be challanged to hold up with many thermal cycles. If hundreds of thousands of these machines are sold, then certainly, at a minimum, hundreds of them will show the problem.

Method 2 for Estimate: Look at unique reports of problem on this issue with a reasonable web search. I might add that most all the folks reporting the problem are loyal Apple customers ... or at least were. Any statistician can extrapolate for you how many people will actually take the effort to make a post in such a case, the majority will not.

Jun 4, 2012 12:48 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

It's obvious to me that you either don't own a MacBookPro5,4, Model A1286, or if you do, it hasn't fallen apart yet. If you do own one, and it falls apart at the seams after being well cared for, and Apple says it's $800 to fix a $1800 machine, that is now worth less that the cost of repair, for the poor design of using glue on differential materials ... then I think you will understand the frustration of loyal customers (Family owned - MBP 15, MBA 13, iPad, iMac 20", 2 iPhone 3's, 3 iPhone 4's).

If you think it's reasonable to put the material/engineering defect cost onto customers, because the warranty is up, or they have a scratch on the case ... well that's your choice.

Jun 4, 2012 4:44 PM in response to a mayer

I find it interesting that simple question can engender such a lengthy reponse. The two examples that you cite are logical and valid. But what is valid is not necessarily true. One would need some accurate data to even start making certain assumptions as to the gravity of the 'problem' (ex number manufactured).

If hundreds have problems out of hundreds of thousands manufactured (taken from your statements) does that that mean there is a failure rate of .01%? Most bean counters would be ecstatic over that percentile, but certainly not the the ones who suffered the problem.

I cannot accept your argument of "for the poor design of using glue on differential materials..." as if glue is unacceptable as a bonding device for differing materials. The best example that comes to my mind is the Boeing Dreamliner, perhaps the most high tech airplane to date that is all glued up.

I do like some Apple products and I do endorse those but I do not march to the beat of an Apple drum. I also understand that when one purveys to the open market cutting edge technology that all things will not be perfect and that the premium price paid today for a MBP will depreciate more quickly than an automobile.

Your initial vociferous repose suggests that you have been one of the 'hundreds' and if I am correct, then you do have my sympathies and you might consider my suggestion to ralphfromchapell hill. Displays can be re-glued so long as the correct adhesive is used.

Jun 4, 2012 5:27 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

O.,

I see you like photos of the cosmos and am sure you are very bright. I don't have the numbers and never will, so it's pointless for either of us to project failure rates. Suffice it to say, I found a lot of unique instances counting original posts on apple official and independent Mac user forums, and folks that injected into a post to say "me too".

If the dreamliners are made by gluing carbon fiber to aluminum for structural purposes ... I, for one am going to look into it at some depth before I fly on one, and two, I am going to hope it's a lot better quality adhesive than that which Apple's contractor used in securing the MBP 15" A1286 models.

I appreciate your suggestion about the glue, many have tried this on MBP's and the 'fix' has lasted for varying degrees of time, sometimes a couple weeks, sometimes a couple months ... be assured that once you 'glue your own' there is not a snowballs chance in h&&^ of Apple doing anything (and they shouldn't as they can't tell what the heck happened once "Johnny Fix It" has been all over the place with 2 part epoxy) to fix it.

I got my problem resolved as it should be, it unfortunately took more persistence, and levels of pursuit than I would have thought should be necessary, given that it is a known problem. The guy at Apple Technical Support said there is a known issue with hinges, but didn't offer to check if it applied to my serial number, and offed me "out of warranty". The Apple Store 'Genius' (and I use the term as loosley as Apple grants it to employees) told me the same thing, "out of warranty", and a tiny scratch in the case was "ABUSE" and what caused the hing/screen seperation ... yeah, right. It's insulting.

It is possible that the glue is NOT at fault, and it is the (very tight) hinge tension, that I figured was normal, leading to extra stress when closing the MBP15 (A1286 - 2008-2009). Not my job (or any consumer's) to figure out where the problem lies ... or to have to try to glue an expensive and otherwise really neat machine back together.

I'll say it again, for those that missed it the first time, this display case separation (Model A1286) is a known issue within Apple. Figure out who you need to contact to fix it IF YOU HAVE NOT ABUSED your MBP. Maybe it's Customer Support at 877-388-0879, it's probably NOT Technical Support.

Jun 19, 2012 4:03 AM in response to ralphfromchapel hill

Hi all,

Same thing happened to me since few weeks. Like you, I didn't dropped my mbp, nor abuse it, I always carry it gently. Mine is a MacBookPro5,3 late 2009. I think that this is a glue issue, and I believe that in a few months the number of similar posts will increase since the glue reaches its lifetime in these models of mbp. I will visit a authorized service in Turkey hoping to solve the issue without being charged, since I didn't do anything other than handling it with care.

Btw, it is a real shame having such issues on a computer which is claimed to be high end that costs more than 2 kEuros.

Best regards

User uploaded file

Aug 9, 2012 7:18 AM in response to ralphfromchapel hill

Yep, same thing happened to me yesterday. My Macbook Pro (purchased October 2009) has been babied and never dropped, banged, etc. I always open and close the lid from the center so as not to put a twisting or torquing moment on the hinges or screen. I have an extended warranty and an appointment at the Genius bar in about two hours in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Regarding the comment "a mayer" made about the Dreamliner, I agree completely. There have been too many accidents in aviation (and other sectors) attributed to new generation materials/construction techniques and I'll do everything in my power to stay off the 787 until it's had time to prove itself. A Macbook pro delaminates on the screen, I have to drive to the Mac store. A 787 has wing or tail delamination - that's another problem. Not to mention the completely new all electrical driven systems, and the lack of a major hydraulic system on the airplane. It sure is pretty though, just like my MacBook Pro.

User uploaded file

Apr 11, 2013 7:49 AM in response to denizcokuslu

Mine started out JUST LIKE THIS and eventually the left front hinge cracked the front bezel upon closing the cover. Ofcourse it's being attributed to abuse. Because it was so "pretty" I babied it! Great justification. I'm sure they'd love to know that I've owned emachines, toshiba, acer, sony, custom built, Dell, etc, etc, and have NEVER had this type of issue. NEVER!! And I'll admit, a few of those had been dropped. But I didn't drop this. the glue on the back cover melted because the laptop gets SO hot, and was the beginning to the final result!

Jun 27, 2013 2:04 PM in response to a mayer

It's not the glue its the screw on the lower left side behind glass about and inch up from the keyboard , the screw hole takes up 97 percent of the Rail, the rail splits on either one side of screw hole or both , the glue is the only thing that holds it together period , if your glass is popped out on left hand lower bottom of screen look behind glass you will see the screw hole I'm referring too.

As adhesive loses bond top and bottom of rail seperate and top deck becomes misaligned from left hand side sticking out and right side going inward. In some cases I have seen the screw actually shatter the glass as the glue didnt give up or worse it ends up frying the wled circuit on logic board as it torqs the lvds cable and grounds out the wled circuit . I'm and independent tech and have seen hundreds of these so your estimate is low I'm guessing it effects all units of the year eventually

Jun 27, 2013 2:09 PM in response to Sherryaggie02

Post pics its not adhesive failing its a split screen rail behind glass, there is large screw hole on left side and inch up from keyboard , the Rail splits on both sides of screw, glue only thing holding it together as it gets older glue weakens and rail pulls apart causing glass on lower left corner if screen to pop out or worse shatter the laptop top case starts torquing from left to right , left side away from top case and right side backwards so its actually hanging off back of laptop

Dec 23, 2013 2:41 AM in response to ralphfromchapel hill

I am having the same problem - visited Genius Bar and told only option was to pay £500, and advised not worth it as macbook late 2008. Only advice was to leave it open and use a desktop. Dont have a desk, hence using a laptop! Not likely to buy apple laptop again as would expect a lot more life out of a £1500 machine and I cannot afford to replace it. Very frustrating.

Looking to find a DIY fix but it seems not much about that seems to work - seen that you can but a screen assembly fo about half the price of apple repair - anyone attempted this?

my macbook pro screen is separating from the case, how to fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.