Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5. 2.3Ghz what's the cheapest memory for this system, 400mhz PC3200

Hi Guys thought that the memory I had would do this G5.It wont> was wondering if anyones put cheaper memory in their G5 and if so what was it and the specs please. ie buffered unbuffered etc

To be honest I love the quality of these G5's but I am not spending a fortune on memroy for a 6 year old system.

Was wondering what is the cheapest memory i could get away with! I'm looking for 1Gb strips and I'm in the UK.

PowerMac

Posted on May 17, 2011 6:37 AM

3 replies

May 17, 2011 12:33 PM in response to Ray-the-man

One thing to keep in mind, PC3200 memory is going to cost a little bit more nowadays.

However I know both PNY and Crucial memory is backwards compatible and will clock down to your systems FSB speed. Im assuming Kingstons RAM does the same.

I just put 2 x 2GB of PNY ram in mine, and the RAM is marked as PC-5300 667Mhz, its compatible with PC4200 and PC3200 as well.. The chips are actually 800Mhz too so theyll go even faster then theyre listed on the package..

They did have specifically PC-4200 RAM for my machine but the Crucial brand was about $1 more for the older chips. I went with PNY because their PC5300 RAM was cheaper then Crucials so I saved a bit more there.

Not a huge difference in price but when youre buying a bunch of upgrades for your system at once every little cent saved helps! 😀

May 17, 2011 1:31 PM in response to Ray-the-man

If you have some patience, you can fill it out from some smart eBay purchases. I managed to max out my PMG5 2x2.5 with 8GB from the 2GB (4x512MB) it came with. Took a month or so of checking eBay (UK) every night. I stuck to Micron (aka Crucial) or Kingston. Think I set myself a target of £10-£12 a stick, and that is what I paid. There's plenty of Micron and Kingston RAM out there from the bulk sellers, asking £20 a stick, you have to catch the private sellers - all my sellers were from schools, selling components from old school equipment.

G5. 2.3Ghz what's the cheapest memory for this system, 400mhz PC3200

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.