Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Libraries / Composing - Is this the best Mac for me?!

Hi,

So I was completely new to all this a year or so ago. I bought an old upgraded mac mini and Logic Studio, but since then I've been upgrading my sound libraries and the mini just can't handle it, nowhere enough memory (even though I currently have 8GB).

I'm using a mix of high quality sound libraries, and I'm doing orchestral scoring, so I need something that can run ALL the sound libraries at once without falling over!

Currently I have sound libraries like LA Scoring strings and, Project Sam Orchestral Brass, Symphonic Choir etc, and many others. My current mac can't even handle ONE properly without having logic stick up an error about 'not being able to process all the required data in time'.

I'm thinking of buying this iMac:

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB

1TB Serial ATA Drive

AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5

Do I NEED that much ram?! Or will the better processing speed mean I don't need as much? Will this allow me to use all my sample libraries as plug ins for logic at the same time without any issue, with reverb etc? I just want a setup that will stop giving me problems and run without issue.

Could you suggest a better buy or setup for what I need?

Please help, i'm so scared of spending this amount of money then having it not work properly or needing to upgrade again soon. 😟 Couldn't afford to do that again.

Please ONLY COMMENT IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH SOUND LIBRARIES OF THIS KIND. I need specific help.

Many thanks for all your help.

iMac

Posted on May 17, 2011 7:14 AM

There are no replies.

Music Libraries / Composing - Is this the best Mac for me?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.