Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Keyboard Failure?

The following keys are not working on my MacBook Pro: 5, t, g, b (upper case and lower case). That was bad enough and now the - key is also not working. This has been going on for quite awhile. Occasionally they will work, but my best bet is using my wireless external keyboard. I've checked my keyboard system preferences, reset the p-ram, repaired permissions. I have come to the conclusion that my keyboard is failing. Any thoughts out there? Anything I can do? Thinking I'll need to buy a new laptop soon...

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 17, 2011 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2011 9:08 AM

Yes, your KB has failed and will need to be replaced. But if that's all that's wrong with your MBP, there may be no reason to replace the whole machine, particularly if it would be hard for you to swing the price of a new one but $300 or less for the KB would be manageable. Make a Genius Bar appointment to have the diagnosis confirmed, and ask about the depot repair option as an alternative to an in-store repair. It may be cheaper, though it may also take a little longer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2011 9:08 AM in response to Debra Dziuk

Yes, your KB has failed and will need to be replaced. But if that's all that's wrong with your MBP, there may be no reason to replace the whole machine, particularly if it would be hard for you to swing the price of a new one but $300 or less for the KB would be manageable. Make a Genius Bar appointment to have the diagnosis confirmed, and ask about the depot repair option as an alternative to an in-store repair. It may be cheaper, though it may also take a little longer.

May 17, 2011 9:17 AM in response to Debra Dziuk

A friend recently had the keyboard replaced in a 1Gen MBP by a local AASP (we don't have an Apple Store here) and the cost for parts and labor was in the vicinity of US$140.

A depot repair makes sense if the computer is having other issues in addition to the keyboard. However, if the keys stopped working because something spilled on the computer, the Depot repair may be unavailable or more expensive than the base price of US$315 (approx)

MacBook Pro Keyboard Failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.