Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help make my music portable for editing!!!!!

Hello,
I have 74 GB of music on my desktop harddrive and I really want the option to work with playlists and edit track names on my laptop. My laptop does not have enough room to transfer my music to it. I was wondering if there was a way to plug my laptop into my desktop and use it as a "monitor" to access those files from another room. Basically I want to be able access the music files that are stored on my desktop with my laptop so I can work on the files from different locations in my house instead of just my office. I don't want to invest in an external hardrive. What about some sort of extension cord that could plug my desktop into my laptop? Is this possible? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Windows XP

Posted on Jan 9, 2006 7:28 AM

12 replies

Jan 9, 2006 8:04 AM in response to Matt Rosenthal1

With 74 GBs of music, I hope you have some sort of backup strategy..... User uploaded file

External hard drives now run less than $100 for 200-250GBs of storage. Very cheap backup insurance, as well. See This Link

You could directly connect the two computers....
- Connect them through a Router &/or Network
- Directly connect using an Ethernet cable: Straight for using at least one Mac; or Crossover for PC/PC Instructions here.
- Connect them via a USB-to-USB Network Bridge. Example here. There are various types out there (use Google).

Depending on what 'editing' you are doing and though what program, it may or may not be possible to do what you want. More details are needed.

Jan 9, 2006 8:21 AM in response to Buegie

Thanks for the reply. I do back my music up onto DVDs. However, I am really looking to sit in another room of my house with my laptop and access my itunes stored on my desktop. I have a wireless router with a strong connection. I am looking to be able to use my laptop as almost a remote controller and viewer for my Itunes stored on my desktop. When I say editing, I mean tagging songs manually and making playlists. That is all. Any advice?

Windows XP

Jan 9, 2006 10:52 AM in response to Matt Rosenthal1

No need to go to extremes all you really need to do is enable file sharing. Then you can access the files on your desktop with your laptop. If you do not know how to do this try Goggling "Set up file sharing" with the name of your OS

Using Remote PC and or VNC a VNC option will be much slower. Also Remote PC and VNC options open you up to a lot of security issues. No matter which option you use make sure your wireless hardware is secured. Almost all wireless hardware comes with all security turned off by default. THIS IS VERY DANGERUS!

Jan 9, 2006 1:16 PM in response to Matt Rosenthal1

With file sharing, you can access the iTunes music files through the Local PC's iTunes Program.

I am not certain it will do what you want. You may be able to change the files on the Desktop, but the Library database will be kept locally on the Laptop.

It may work, as the edits you perform on the music files should remain with the files, not within iTunes. I have no clue as to what will happen once you open up iTunes on the Desktop and it finds the music files changed. It may or may not pick up the changes. You may end up with broken links ('!').

Try it and see....

Jan 9, 2006 2:48 PM in response to Matt Rosenthal1

Attempting to use another copy of iTunes to edit the files from the other machine will result in nothing but pain, in the long term. It's really not worth trying. I seriously recommend using a VNC program to control the desktop machine from the laptop. Basically it will give you a virtual screen, where what's on the desktop's screen will show up on the laptop and you can fully control it remotely. This will be far easier than messing about with trying to use another copy of iTunes on another machine.

Jan 9, 2006 5:44 PM in response to Matt Rosenthal1

My question is whether you can actually access
itunes using this method or are you just looking
at shared file folders in window

Ok you will need to run Remote desktop or VNC for that. But why do need to run that specific copy iTunes? There is no functional difference between running iTunes locally on your desktop PC and remotely accessing the music files to be used with the local copy of iTunes on your laptop.

Jan 10, 2006 7:04 AM in response to Brian Cook4

Here is the deal. I have 74 GB of music on my desktop and have a new born child. I want to be able to sit in my bedroom or family room far away from my desktop and access all the MP3s on my desktop (which is downstairs in my office). I want to be able to sit on the couch and spend time with my baby, while still making playlists, editing and tagging songs, etc. I have a wireless router and laptop so as of now I can search the web from any room in my house. I cannot however access my music from my laptop. My goal is to work with all of my itunes using my laptop wirelessly.

Jan 10, 2006 11:05 AM in response to Matt Rosenthal1

If you have to be able to edit the play lists in iTunes on your desktop PC then you will have to set up Remote PC or VNC. Other wise you can just set up file sharing and edit the files from your laptop.... Now that I think about it you could also listen to the music on your desktop PC from your laptop by enabling music sharing in iTunes.

If both computers are running XP Pro then setting up Remote PC should not be that hard. I do not know if you can do it with XP Home. As you found VNC is a free option but I am told it is really a pain to set up.

Help make my music portable for editing!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.